Associate Project Scientist
Open September 13th, 2017 through September 29th, 2017
The University of California, Irvine's Institute for Memory Impairments and Neurological Disorders (UCI MIND) has an opportunity for an Associate Project Scientist. The mission of UCI MIND is to engage in cutting edge, interdisciplinary research designed to discover the basic mechanisms of neurodegeneration and brain aging, characterize the transition from normal aging to Alzheimer's disease, and develop new treatments to slow or eliminate cognitive impairment resulting from any etiology. Critical to this mission are strategic development and delivery of recruitment strategies and materials, and efficient management of human subjects research protocols, clinical research compliance and regulatory management. The successful candidate will be immediately responsible for 1) managing all UCI MIND human subject research protocols and ensuring that regulatory matters are appropriately addressed and satisfied in a timely fashion, including Institutional Review Board (IRB) documents as well as managing clinicaltrials.gov requirements; 2) performing research on participant recruitment and retention; 3) analyzing data, writing, editing, and submitting work to peer reviewed journals; 4) development of informed consents and protocol narratives for all of UCI MIND Human Subjects research protocols; 5) training/coordinating with clinical research faculty, staff, on regulatory matters and compliance; 6) maintaining relationships with IRB, study sponsors, and clinical research monitors; 7) development/delivery of educational presentations for recruitment/retention purposes; and 8) managing recruitment materials requiring IRB human subjects approvals in all UCI MIND marketing/communications efforts (i.e., social media, mailings, email, website, media outlets) and electronic medical record recruitment queries. The incumbent will be expected to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the job, and maintain a high level of professionalism and collegiality in interactions with participants, patients, and team members.
Successful candidates must have a PhD in Neuroscience or another health-related topic. The candidate must have previous experience in Alzheimer's disease clinical trials, including trials in dementia as well as mild cognitive impairment. We are especially interested in applicants with proficiency in the following areas:
• Minimum of ten years of experience conducting clinical research trials.
• Minimum of 3 years of developing, submitting, and maintaining IRB approvals.
• Previous experience drafting and managing clinicaltrials.gov protocols.
• Strong knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and regulatory (IRB) compliance guidelines for conducting clinical studies
• Strong background developing and executing complex study protocols
• Knowledge of dementia in its different forms.
• Demonstrated interest in working with the elderly.
• Experience in data collection and analysis of recruitment of research participants.
• Ability to establish and maintain accurate files and records.
• Experience describing the benefits of Alzheimer's disease research participation to the public and successfully facilitating enrollment.
Applicants must have advanced writing skills and experience with scientific writing. Previous experience with electronic medical records, clinical trials management software, and electronic data capture systems is preferred. Candidates must be able to work effectively with interdisciplinary teams and to manage projects within a complex organization; therefore, excellent interpersonal, organizational, and oral and written communication skills are essential. This position will be appointed at the level that is commensurate with the education and experience of the individual candidate.
Please submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae which should include a record of research experience and the names of 2 references before 9/29/2017 to:
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Job location Irvine, CA
More information about this recruitment: http://www.mind.uci.edu
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Research
- Statement of Teaching (Optional)
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
2 references required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now