Building Equipment Mechanic (HVAC) #S03145
Building Equipment Mechanic
( Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning)
Takoma Park/Silver Spring
$23.49 - $31.80 per hour
Online applications must be received by September 27, 2017.
Montgomery College, Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus, has need for a full-time, Building Equipment Mechanic (HVAC - Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning), S03145, in the Facilities Operations department. The normal work schedule is Sunday - Thursday, 6:30am-3:00pm.
The incumbent will inspect buildings to ensure safe comfortable learning environments. Inspect heating ventilation and air conditioning equipment, electrical, plumbing systems for proper operation and maintenance.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform periodic inspections throughout the day to ensure all heating, plumbing and electrical systems are operating properly. If any system is found inoperable or in abnormal conditions take all steps necessary to correct the abnormality in order or priority.
- Perform daily routine and emergency work order requests as assigned. These work orders can include checking/calibrating thermostats, ensuring proper operation of VAV boxes, pumps, and troubleshooting HVAC challenges including plumbing repairs as necessary.
- Perform preventive maintenance as assigned. These include seasonal repairs and upgrades to HVAC systems, including proper alignment of belts, replacement of bearings and motor cages, air filters replacement, changing light fixtures, ballast and bulbs; repair and/or replacement of toilets and sinks; grease motors and repair or replace parts to air handlers; adjust and clean electrodes for fuel burners and filter replacement. Help maintain clean and organized shops and work areas. Ensure tools are returned and report damaged or missing parts.
- Restore, replace, or install new equipment as needed.
- The Mechanic may also be required to perform other duties as assigned, supporting other trades with the understanding that all efforts are ultimately in support of Montgomery College's mission statement.
- Using the database software track all assigned work orders and keep them updated as the work progresses. Assure that all task performed are documented by requesting or creating work orders daily.
- Replace ceiling tiles, help with snow removal, perform temporary roofs repairs, fabricate motor mounts for HVAC units (welding/braising); repair water pumps as needed.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Completion of a vocational or apprentice-level training program in operating building heating and cooling equipment, Stationary Engineer or HVAC, and/or any combination of education, training, and experience providing understanding of the field and the ability to perform the duties of the job.
- Four years of progressively responsible experience working with commercial heating ventilation and air conditioning systems, air handling units and VAV boxes, rooftop packaged unit.
- Universal CFC License; 2nd Grade Stationary Engineers License or Journeyman HVAC license.
- Working knowledge of the standard practices, methods, tools, and materials common to HVAC repair, maintenance.
- Working knowledge of building and fire codes, and occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Working knowledge of Pneumatic line, low voltage and direct digital controls.
- Working knowledge of boiler and hydronic distribution systems.
- Working knowledge of air distribution systems, and familiarity with in the operation, troubleshooting, repairs and preventive maintenance of HVAC equipment (systems), including # 2 fuel fired boilers and related components.
- Working knowledge of the procedure for conducting failure analysis.
- Knowledge of PC based test equipment and self-contained testing equipment.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), the Internet and Windows-based applications.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Experience with DDC/BAS (Direct Digital Controls/Building Automation Systems)
Application Process :
- Online applications must be received by September 27, 2017.
- To apply, please visit http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment .
- The application process includes 10 steps.
- Step 10 is a Summary of your information. You can update and edit information up to the closing date for the receipt of applications for a specific job announcement.
- For consideration, you must:
- Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
- Complete a set of pre-screening questions (Step 4); and
- E-sign your application. (Step 9)
Failure to complete the pre-screening questions or to e-sign your application will automatically result in your elimination from consideration for this position.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire :
- Successful completion of a background check
- Participation in a retirement plan
- Submission of an official transcript of the degree required for the position
Note: This recruitment effort can take 6-12 weeks (from the deadline date) to fill.
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace.
For disability- related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.
Job Facilities, Maintenance & Security
Primary Location US-MD-Takoma Park/Silver Spring
Organization Facilities Administration
Job Posting Aug 28, 2017, 11:00:00 PM
Unposting Date Sep 27, 2017, 10:59:00 PM