Associate Dean of Library Services for Technical Services
Posting Date September 13, 2017
Position Title Associate Dean of Library Services for Technical Services
Vacancy # V-1359
Department Library Technical Services
Division Academic Affairs
As part of a collaborative and collegial leadership team with the Dean and the Associate Dean for Public Services, the Associate Dean for Technical Services will provide a vision for services and resources to enhance the University's academic endeavors. The Associate Dean will lead the division in providing access to materials in a changing mix of user-oriented online environments for Montclair State University faculty, students and staff.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides vision for and directs: Access Services & Systems, Cataloging, Metadata & Archival Services, Collection Development & Acquisitions and Government Documents (6 librarians, 1 professional and 11.5 full-time classified staff, 7 part-time staff and student assistants)
- Serves as the primary liaison to OCLC and Lyrasis.
- Provides leadership in the ongoing implementation of OCLC's WorldShare Management Services (WMS) system.
- Develops and manages budgets. Serves on the Library Budget Committee.
- Manages human resources, including hiring, training and evaluating Technical Services staff.
- Provides leadership for scholarly communication initiatives.
- Collaborates with the Dean, Associate Dean for Public Services, librarians and staff to plan for facilities changes and improvements.
- Collects and analyzes feedback from stakeholders, including working with faculty, students and staff to evaluate existing library programs and resources, and developing and executing plans for enhancing them to ensure service quality.
- Serves as liaison to one or more academic departments.
- Prepares accreditation and evaluation review reports.
- Participates in a variety of departmental, campus, regional and statewide committees and represents library issues, ideas and concerns.
- Is professionally active in local, regional and national library and information organizations; makes professional contributions, and brings visibility to the Library and to the University.
- Represents the Dean on and off campus when necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program. Master's Degree in a subject discipline; doctorate preferred.
- Experience in an academic library, preferably in the public university sector.
- Five (5) years of relevant administration and management experience.
- Experience with the acquisition and/or management of library information resources.
- Knowledge of best practices and trends in all areas related to technical services and library systems.
- Experience with integrated library systems, OCLC WMS preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of creativity in problem solving and developing library services.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience developing, implementing, and managing budgets.
- Experience developing strategic plans and assessing outcomes.
- Knowledge of current issues and trends in higher education and academic libraries including technological developments.
- Active professionally in library and related organizations.
Commensurate with experience.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION