RNA Bioscience Initiative Program Coordinator
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
RNA Bioscience Initiative Program Coordinator (Business Services Senior Professional)
Position #705657 - Requisition 11085
The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) RNA Bioscience Initiative Program Coordinator (Business Services Senior Professional) position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado | Anschutz Medical Campus has an opening for a full-time (1.00 FTE), University Staff (unclassified) RNA Bioscience Initiative Program Coordinator in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics in the School of Medicine (SOM). This position will support the SOM Translational Research Program in RNA Bioscience by providing day-to-day financial, grant management and operational assistance. This role will assist with the development, implementation, and oversight of all functions for the RNA Bioscience Translational Research Initiative in accordance with the policies and procedures of the Department, School of Medicine and the University.
This position will work independently, as well as interact with a diverse group of professionals and research faculty in an evolving professional environment to effectively contribute to growth and accomplishments of RNA Bioscience Initiative.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Oversee and manage the SOM AEF budget for the awarded Translational RNA Bioscience Initiative, this program is set up with various speedtypes for all proposed goals of the program and the projected award budget is 20M over a five-year span.
- Track and oversee funds related to the RNA Bioscience Initiative as they relate to Program/Department/School of Medicine/University policies and procedures.
- Prepare and manage budgets for all aspects for the RNA Biosciences Initiative including seminar series, procurement of equipment, faculty salaries, bioinformatics, postdoctoral and student training program, education, outreach, technical support, administrative, seed grants, travel.
- Assist with director salary support/stipends, annual review of stipends and support for program faculty.
- Manage the seed grant application process, working with faculty to establish the grant applications process, managing the awards, creation of new speed types, overseeing budgets for new awards, postaward accounting for all seed grant applications.
- Provide PreAward grant management for RNA Bioscience faculty (5 faculty members) and support for all aspects of the grant application process, including a possible program project grant in year #3 of the program, and a possible proposed institutional training program in RNA bioscience.
- Provide PostAward grant management for all grants awarded through the RNA Bioscience faculty (5 faculty members) as needed working with the department PostAward manager, expenditure tracking and payroll management of all personnel supported by these funds, including payroll distributions for all RNA program participants that are receiving support from these funds.
Research & Laboratory Support:
- Work with faculty to develop all aspects of this research program; supports all administrative aspects that directly relate to RBI Biosciences Initiatives.
- Coordinate equipment purchases for the RNA Biosciences; develop specialized processes for specific equipment; manage quotes and possible facilities modifications of space; manage funds for equipment purchases; manage shared equipment and resources.
- Work with the procurement services center on all policies and procedures for large equipment purchases.
- Coordinate all facility and IT requests for laboratory and office use by the RNA Bioscience Initiative.
Training and Internship Program Support:
- Manage the administrative aspects of the training program, funding for postdoctoral fellows and graduate students, fellowship application processes, hiring of postdoctoral fellows for the program, student functions, coordination of student and postdoctoral seminars.
- Oversee the RNA Bioscience Internship program, which includes website posting, applicant tracking, hiring of interns, scheduling of activities, weekly lunch seminar coordination, room scheduling, etc.
- Act as an administrator of courses and training for all RNA Bioscience faculty working with the graduate school on course development and support for all aspects of teaching related to the RNA Biosciences Initiative.
- Development of new courses and curricula for the program.
RNA Program Support:
- Mange the RNA Journal club activities, reserving buses for transportation to Boulder, seminar announcements, room scheduling, etc.
- Oversee fundraising efforts for RNA Biosciences.
- Oversee the symposium organization, seminar official functions, scheduling, facility reservation planning, printing of posters, brochures, announcements, schedules, food coordination, room scheduling, etc.
- Oversee all website content for the RNA Biosciences Initiative and providing updates and content to the departmental web developer.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in public health, public administration, social/behavioral sciences, physical sciences, nursing, healthcare, finance, accounting, business administration, business, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Two (2) years of program and/or project management experience.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- Experience with financial forecasting and budget analysis.
- Experience in providing professional and technical assistance to faculty, staff and students within a higher education and/or medical education environment.
- Experience with grant management, accounting procedures, financial reporting, budgets and/or procurement processes.
- Experience supporting faculty research laboratories and lab personnel.
- Experience working with CU Systems including: CONCUR, CU Marketplace, HCM, COGNOS, CU CAREERS, M-FIN reporting.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of higher education administrative functions, as well as business systems is required for creative management and leadership.
- Knowledge of purchasing, budgeting, official function, and management processes.
- Ability to develop website content.
- Strong technical background which includes the ability to work with both Mac and Microsoft software, programs and applications (particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook).
- Ability to develop, revise, and maintain spreadsheets and databases for reporting and tracking purposes for all grant and core activities.
- Ability to multi-task.
- This individual must be motivated, accountable, and responsible.
- Ability to take the initiative to establish work priorities and follow-through to insure timely completion of activities and possess strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with various individuals and groups.
- Must be extremely customer service oriented and willing to work with a diverse group of researchers and administrative staff and University departments.
- Extremely dependable and accountable for all aspects of this position.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both in writing and orally.
- Knowledge of CONCUR, CU Marketplace, HCM, COGNOS, CU CAREERS, M-FIN reporting, PreAward grant management, PostAward grant management.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Sue Brozowski at Sue.Brozowski@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20085 - SOM-BioChem&Molecular Genetics
Posting Date: Sep 13, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sue Brozowski
Posting Contact Email: Sue.Brozowski@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00705657