University of Colorado - Comcast Media and Technology Center
The University of Colorado Denver is comprised of the recently consolidated Denver Campus and the Anschutz Medical Campus. The consolidated university confers more graduate degrees each year than any other higher education institution in Colorado, offers over 130 degree programs in 13 schools and colleges, and brings in nearly $400 million annually in sponsored research.
The Denver Campus is located downtown next to a vibrant commercial and cultural district, three major professional sports venues, the Denver Convention Center, and city and state government offices. The Denver Campus alone has an enrollment of over 15,000 learners, and has a highly diverse student population.
The Comcast Media and Technology Center (CMTC), a visionary collaboration between College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) and College of Arts & Media (CAM), is situated in the Tivoli Student Union and is led by Co-Directors-one each from CEAS and CAM. Configured as an interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary, and transdisciplinary center for innovation, the CCMT allows a confluence of expertise and knowledge. Through a unique blending of design, engineering, and technology, the CCMT's central purpose is to foster a creative environment. Ideally, this center enables students, researchers, and professionals to academic and creative work that is culturally focused. The strategic intent is to encourage action-orientated education, research, commercial enterprises, and community services that are empathetically driven, economically sustainable, and environmentally responsible. The CCMT operates across the fields of computer science, engineering, design, business management, arts and media, and other relevant and evolving areas of media and technology.
This Research Associate position offers collaborative and independent research opportunities at The Comcast Media and Technology Center (CMTC) at University of Colorado Denver. The major responsibilities include providing leadership in the research, creative work, and service activities of The Comcast Media and Technology Center (CMTC). This position starts with an initial 2-year term as a joint appointment in the College of Engineering and Applied Science and the College of Arts & Media at the University of Colorado Denver. Upon successful performance and appropriate funding generation, reappointment is possible.
This position reports to the Co-Directors of the CMTC (faculty from the College of Arts & Media and the College of Engineering and Applied Science).
Examples of Work Performed
- Helps to establish a research agenda for CMTC
- Leads and manages research projects to advance the center and involve students
- Develop new research directions with Co-Directors and author research proposals to attract external funding
- Articulate the goals of the center, both within and outside the unit, and advocate for the center, students, and the faculty in pursuit of these aims
- Develops, plans, tracks and analyzes projects to advancew the research agenda.
- Works with project sponsor(s) to define project success criteria, timelines, milestones and deliverables.
- Manages multiple, concurrent and organizational projects.
- Records and reports project results to the Co-Directors and other stakeholders. Also records and reports key data and other relevant information regarding projects as needed.
- Maintains a climate that is collegial, that respects and values diversity, treats faculty, staff in a respectful manner while building a culture of creativity and innovation.
- Applicants must have a terminal degree (in computer science, engineering, design, visual or performing arts, digital media) or equivalent professional experience in a closely related discipline
- Should have an active research/creative work program
- Should have participated in externally funded research projects under PIs.
- Doctoral degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Design or related fields
- Successful experience in grant funding
- A scholarly record commensurate with career tradjectory
- Evidence of high-quality research and / or creative work
- Experience in a higher education setting
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, identify and set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Energetic and flexible
- Ability to take initiative, think creatively, strategically while working independently on new projects and/or projects that may not be well-defined
- Ability to remain focused and to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources including team members and internal/external departments and community partners
- Navigate project changes effectively, remove barriers and coordinate with a variety of project team members
- Exceptional communication skills
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please note that the system has auto-generated the line at the bottom indicating that this is a part-time position. That is NOT correct. This is a full-time position.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 7402
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV. A Research Statement
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30120 - CAM-Visual Arts
Posting Date: Aug 8, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Brian DeLevie
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00729808