Director of Engineering Communications and Marketing
The Director of Engineering Communications and Marketing in the College of Engineering and Applied Science will be responsible for developing and executing communications and marketing strategies by planning, writing, editing, and designing the production of electronic and print publications and other materials required to execute the College strategy. The position supports major events by planning publicity through news releases including activities that promote the standing and reputation of the College and works with the University System and Campus communications professionals for the good of the College and the Campus. The position will report to the Assistant Dean for Strategy, Planning and Communications.
Who we are:
Founded in 1893, the College of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Colorado Boulder is the second largest of seven schools and colleges at one of the nation's top public research institutions. As Colorado's flagship university, CU Boulder has selective admissions standards and a comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Strategic Communications and Marketing
- Oversee and execute marketing and communications strategies of the College, development, alumni, and student-recruitment activities to enhance the outreach portfolio, reputation, and standing both externally and internally. This includes institutional advertising, social media, web, photography, digital strategy and video productions as appropriate and works with the University Strategic Relations and Communications team.
- Lead all external communications, working with outside stakeholders, reporters, media outlets as well as subject matter experts and students to help tell the story of the College of Engineering and Applied Science. Manage major rollouts of campus and College initiatives.
- Lead all internal communications, working with staff, faculty and students to produce materials for campus events.
- Develop and execute annual and long-range marketing and communications plans to promote and enforce the college and campus brand. Work with internal staff, outside stakeholders, and media outlets to produce effective messaging and strategic communications plans.
- Promote and enforce brand standards of the Campus and College in all written communications including print and on-line publications.
- Write and edit op-eds, talking points, speeches, testimony, white papers, and other materials.
- Works closely with the Assistant Dean for Strategy, Planning and Communications on projects and issues of significant importance to the College.
Campus Integrations and External Outreach
- Act as a liaison between the College and external parties including media outlets, government actors, and other relevant organizations.
- Participate in professional organizations to keep abreast of developments and issues in the communications field and to maintain contacts with colleges at other institutions.
- Participate in campus-wide communications forums and works with University Communications to ensure that the College's communications program is aligned with that of the University.
- Update and promulgate College communications policies and provides a forum to train and maintain best practices amongst the communication staff within the College.
- Works with the Director of College Strategic Initiatives to integrate the College framework into the major CU Boulder strategic initiatives and branding.
- Supervise and provide oversight for the Assistant Director of Internal Communication, Assistant Director of External Communication, Assistant Director of Digital Strategy, and serves dotted-line supervision to the BOLD Center's Assistant Director of Communications, Inclusion and Community.
- Manage performance and outcomes of these positions and integrate their work with the overall communications, marketing and alumni-relations plan for the College.
- Evaluate annual performance and on a continuous basis for coaching and performance feedback, setting goals, cultural leadership, and any disciplinary action as needed.
- Ensure compliance with University and College policies. Approve leave requests and monthly timesheets.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Undertake other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What you should know:
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States must be produced within three (3) days of hire.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $90,000.00, commensurate with experience. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be inclusive. Be informed. Be impactful. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Master's degree from an accredited institution in journalism, marketing, communications or a related field.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience, including leading communications and marketing initiatives and experience developing, planning and rolling out communication/marketing strategy.
- Substitution: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in the aforementioned fields and seven years of aforementioned experience may substitute for a Master's degree and five years of experience.
What you will need:
- Professional verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Exceptionally strong leadership and networking skills. Great customer service skills in order to enhance reputation to internal and external stakeholders.
- Creative problem solver with strong critical thinking skills.
- Strong communications and organizational skills, including full proficiency with standard business software and computer systems (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and the Internet.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, problem-solving capabilities, collaborative and participative team building skills, effective and respectful interpersonal communication and a commitment to quality and service.
- Ability to take ownership of projects and use independent judgement and works well under pressure, meet tight deadlines, and execute multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong ability to understand constituent needs.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact and achieve positive results in teams.
- Tact, discretion, and experience handling confidential information.
- Demonstrated problem-solving capabilities, collaborative and participative team building skills, effective and respectful interpersonal communication and a commitment to quality and service.
- Proven ability to work with all members of a broad and diverse community.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective and trusting working relationships with faculty, administrators, and staff.
- Sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural, political and geographical differences, with ability to work well with faculty, staff and students from around the world.
What we'd like you to have:
- Seven years of progressively responsible experience in communications, reporting, electronic media, social media and print publications.
- Two years of supervisory experience of two or more direct reports with a strong ability to lead teams towards a common goal.
- Experience in constituent relations/relationship management.
- Experience in a higher education environment, preferably in an engineering firm or among engineers in other settings and/or experience with managing and promoting organizational brand, website management, editing, creation and maintenance, and the use of mass email tools.
- Significant professional experience working with complex organizations with multiple levels of authority and multiple stakeholders on each project assignment.
- Ability to travel along the Colorado Front Range and nationally.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by September 19, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-11041.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Communication
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10298 - College Engineering & App Sci
Posting Date: Sep 13, 2017
Closing Date: Sep 19, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00150866