Assistant Director for Communications, Inclusion and Community
The Assistant Director for Communications, Inclusion and Community will be an integral member of the BOLD Center and the Dean's Office Communications team. This position will manage communications for the diversity and inclusion portfolio for the College of Engineering and Applied Science and will manage and carry out communication needs of the BOLD Center. Within the college's diversity and inclusion portfolio, this position will lead overall external communications, working with outside stakeholders, reporters, media outlets as well as subject matter experts and students to help tell the story of the College. This position will lead overall internal communications for this portfolio, working with the BOLD Center team, staff, faculty and students to produce materials for campus events. Within the BOLD Center, this person will lead the creation of marketing materials and digital publications and lead communications on BOLD website and social media platforms. This position will manage major rollouts of campus and college initiatives related to inclusion and diversity and will communicate the dean's strategic vision for the college, including reaching gender equity and getting more underrepresented groups interested and excelling in engineering and computing.
Who we are:
Founded in 1893, the College of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Colorado Boulder is the second largest of seven schools and colleges at one of the nation's top public research institutions. As Colorado's flagship university, CU Boulder has selective admissions standards and a comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs.
What your key responsibilities will be:
BOLD Center Communications
- Lead and oversee communication strategy for the BOLD Center, facilitating integration with college communications.
- Design, create, produce, edit, and distribute digital and print announcements, program brochures, newsletters, websites, signs, posters, social media, presentations and other publications for the BOLD Center. These duties involve developing graphic design concepts consistent with organizational branding and communication goals, taking high-quality photographs and video and implementing the design and layout, proofreading, and managing final production of a myriad of BOLD communications products.
College Communications and Marketing
- Lead external communications related to inclusion, working with outside stakeholders, reporters, media outlets as well as subject matter experts and students to help tell the story of the College of Engineering and Applied Science.
- Lead internal communications for the inclusion portfolio, working with staff, faculty and students to produce materials for campus events.
- Collaborate with internal staff, outside stakeholders, and media outlets to produce effective messaging and strategic communications plans.
- Write and edit op-eds, talking points, speeches, testimony, white papers, and other materials.
- Act as a liaison between the College and external parties including media outlets, government actors, and other relevant organizations.
- Manage major rollouts of campus and college initiatives related to inclusion and community.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Undertake other duties and responsibilities as assigned
What you should know:
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States must be produced within three (3) days of hire.
- Candidate must have ability to work occasional evenings and Saturdays.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $65,000.00, commensurate with experience. .The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be collaborative. Be innovative. Be strategic. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, art, or a related field.
- At least five years of professional experience in communications or marketing.
- A Master's degree may substitute for two years of experience.
What you will need:
- Full accountability for meeting goals and objectives independently with minimum direction.
- Excellent teamwork skills and ability to learn how to work with colleagues and students with diverse backgrounds and diverse thought.
- Independent problem solver with the ability to think strategically in the moment and to engage others in campus offices to resolve issues.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite especially Microsoft WORD, XCEL and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communications skills.
- Sensitivity to, and appreciation of, cultural, political and geographical differences-with ability to work well with faculty, staff and students from around the world.
- Interest in expanding opportunities for students from backgrounds that are underrepresented in engineering.
- Portfolio of work examples.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
What we'd like you to have:
- Previous experience with Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Dreamweaver; WordPress, CSS/HTML; and Microsoft Office.
- Previous experience managing a Facebook page, Twitter feed, LinkedIn account and other social networking/communications.
- Familiarity with Survey Monkey or other online survey applications.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and Saturdays.
- Experience with photography, including video filming and editing.
- Familiarity with the engineering or technology domain.
- Experience with Constant Contact or similar email marketing application.
- Experience working with print and other vendors.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by September 24, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-Req ID.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Communication
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10908 - Engineering-Bold Center
Posting Date: Sep 13, 2017
Closing Date: Sep 24, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00703637