Clinical Research Budget Specialist
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
University of Colorado Cancer Center
Clinical Research Budget Specialist
Position # 00692667 - Requisition 11092
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Cancer Center has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Clinical Research Budget Specialist position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside.
The University of Colorado Cancer Center, located at the Anschutz Medical Campus, is Colorado's only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center, a distinction recognizing its outstanding contributions to research, clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. CU Cancer Center's clinical partner for adult care, University of Colorado Hospital is ranked in the top 25 by U.S. News and World Report for cancer care and Children's Hospital Colorado is ranked 9th by the same organization. The CU Cancer Center is a member of the prestigious National Comprehensive Cancer Network®, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers working to establish and deliver the gold standard in cancer clinical guidelines. CU Cancer Center also is a member of the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network (ORIEN), a unique research partnership among North America's top cancer centers leveraging multiple data sources and matching patients to targeted treatments. CU Cancer Center is a consortium of approximately 400 researchers and physicians at three state universities and three clinical institutions, all working toward one goal: Translating science into life.
Nature of Work:
The Clinical Research Budget Specialist is responsible for developing, negotiating, finalizing and reviewing budgets for clinical research trials conducted by faculty members of the University of Colorado Cancer Center at University of Colorado Hospital (UCH). This position also serves as a finance liaison for finance interactions between the Cancer Center Clinical Trials Office (CCTO), UCH, CU Medicine (formerly UPI) and the office of Grants and Contracts. Functions include reviewing of clinical trial protocols, drafting a study-specific budget to account for all procedural and labor costs, working with OnCoreTM calendar builders to ensure all cost are properly accounted for and completing pre-award reviews. This position is also responsible for contracts and grants solicitation and administration, grant/agreement preparation, review and negotiation, regulatory compliance, sponsor communication and pre-award management. In addition to working closely with University personnel, this position communicates regularly with pharmaceutical company representatives. Specifically, this position will have oversight of clinical trials sponsored by industry, co-operative groups, federal grants/contracts and investigator initiated clinical trials.
Examples of Work Performed:
This position requires independent action and the use of discretion and creativity within the limits of Cancer Center, institutional, and state fiscal policies. This position is required to analyze existing policies, non-specific practices and precedents in order to identify optimal budget negotiation strategies; and to anticipate the consequences of various courses of action in the process. This position works extensively with representatives from pharmaceutical companies, faculty members, administrative staff throughout the University, as well as representatives from various departments at the University of Colorado Hospital and CU Medicine. This position completes pre-award reviews of the assigned clinical trials calendars and financial information in OnCoreTM to ensure accuracy with the negotiated budgets.
Specific Examples of Work Performed:
- Review clinical trial protocols in order to draft a study-specific budget that accounts for all procedural and labor costs.
- Negotiate budgets with industry sponsors.
- Work with OnCoreTM calendar builders to ensure financial information in OnCoreTM, accurately portrays rates and prices in the negotiated budgets.
- Review contractual documents to ensure final negotiated terms have been incorporated.
- Collaborate with Finance Specialists, Regulatory Affairs and Clinical Coordinators to ensure the negotiated budget terms are understood and billed correctly.
- Complete pre-award reviews using OnCoreTM under the direction of the supervisor and train other finance team members in this task if required.
- Other duties as assigned
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in finance, business administration, information technology or other related field.
- One (1) year of professional experience working in any budget, finance or clinical related position.
- Substitutions: Related experience in budget, finance, business administration or clinical field may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis, but not for the specific experience.
- Experience working with clinical trials management software, preferably OnCoreTM
- One (1) or more years' of experience working in a clinical or clinical research setting.
- Six (6) months or more experience reading and understanding clinical research protocols, specifically oncology is preferred.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Experience with clinical studies calendar specifications and protocol / subjected related procedures
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Good comprehension of contract terminology and confidence in own ability to draft and negotiate contract budget terms.
- Excellent interpersonal working and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Excellent financial analytical skills, as well as the ability to troubleshoot problems and pursue resolutions.
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and verbal.
- Familiarity with the concepts and practices related to clinical research budgeting.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Kari Mancillas at Kari.Mancillas@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by September 26, 2017. Those who do not apply by September 26, 2017 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20066 - SOM-U of Colo Cancer Center
Posting Date: Sep 13, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kari Mancillas
Posting Contact Email: Kari.Mancillas@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00692667