Media Relations Manager
Join a team of knowledgeable and creative news content creators who are top in their field in terms of identifying compelling scientific or other research on campus and creating engaging content for external audiences. Working in a fast-paced, technology-driven and deadline-oriented environment, this position oversees media distribution and monitoring platforms to ensure they are optimized for maximum effectiveness, and serves as the main hub for intake, editing, scheduling and distribution of content. Supervising one staff member and coordinating with team leads, the media relations manager manages the day-to-day flow of news response and news packaging, and participates on integrated marketing and communication teams with the primary goal of attracting positive attention from the media and key constituents in Colorado, nationwide and internationally for outstanding research, faculty expertise, student accomplishments and university programs and outreach. The media relations manager serves as primary campus contact on news related to select beats, including business, education and outreach.
Who we are:
Strategic Relations creates the strategies, messages and tools to align CU Boulder's communications, engage with and influence its audiences and advance its reputation and mission.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Media Distribution Oversight
- Oversee media distribution and monitoring platforms to ensure they are optimized for maximum effectiveness - both in terms of updated media lists and regularly tracking and sharing key metrics; manages media relations specialist position; and maintains the news calendar, managing intake, distribution and tracking of news and community content.
- Follow breaking news trends, pitch stories to the media, write expert tip sheets and news releases, and respond to media requests for CU Boulder experts. Beat areas may include Leeds School of Business, School of Education, Outreach & Engagement, and the arts.
- Stay up-to-date on emergency communications procedures.
- Act as a member of the emergency communications response team.
- Edit news releases, tip sheets, audio transcripts, newsletters and community content for accuracy, clarity and completeness under deadline pressure.
- Make sure text adheres to AP style and CU Boulder brand voice.
- Manage daily updates to CU Boulder Today, News Headlines and the Media Room homepages and manages news Twitter account.
What we can offer:
We can offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be engaged. Be strategic. Be proactive. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in journalism, public relations, English or related degree.
- Expert knowledge of AP style and grammar.
- Familiarity with social media and multimedia applications.
- Three years of professional experience in public relations, media relations, communications or journalism that includes media monitoring and outreach, writing and editing, and use of social media in a deadline-driven, content-production environment.
What we'd like you to have:
- Five years of professional experience in public relations, media relations, communications or journalism that includes media monitoring and outreach, writing and editing, and use of social media in a deadline-driven, content-production environment.
- Experience in any of the following: Drupal (or similar); SharePoint; PhotoShop (or similar) and media monitoring and analytics platforms.
- Hands-on knowledge of social media and multimedia applications (websites, audio/podcasting and video).
- Oversight of a content team or platform in a deadline-driven environment.
- Supervisory experience.
- Higher education communications experience.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:First considerations for this position will take place on September 19, 2017. This posting will close on October 13, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-11020.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Communication
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10025 - Office of Strategic Relations
Posting Date: Sep 13, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 13, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00002775