Associate Dean of Students (Psychologist)
Bridgewater College is seeking a dynamic and collaborative mental health professional with a depth and breadth of experience in holistic health initiatives. Reporting to the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students, and working with a team of wellness, health, and mental health professionals, the Associate Dean of Students will serve as a member of the Student Life leadership team, and have primary responsibility for developing a culture of integrative wellness and direct oversight of the College’s Counseling Services. In addition to supervising the College Counselor, the Associate Dean is responsible for both health and wellness services, supervising the Director for Health Services, and a reimagined Wellness program, led by the Wellness Education Director. Duties may require occasional evening and weekend availability on campus and require ability to respond to urgent situations by phone or email on evenings and weekends.
- Provide primary oversight of Counseling Services, maintaining an active clinical caseload, and providing individual and group counseling to students
- Develop and manage a practicum training site for both master’s and doctorate level trainees
- Provide mental health assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and referral for students
- Collaborate with, and provide consultative services to, the college community related to high risk behaviors
- Participate in on-call responsibilities related to health-related crises
- Engage in strategic planning and program and policy development to support the Office of Student Life in developing, implementing, and assessing a holistic wellness education model for the College
- Work in partnership with student organizations focused on supporting the wellbeing of the student community to develop educational and outreach programming
- Manage the counseling records system, Titanium
- Serve as a member of the BC CARE Team
- Develop and manage the departmental budget
- The successful candidate will have extensive experience in clinical therapy practice and hold a Doctorate in Counseling Psychology, Educational Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Social Work or Counseling and Guidance from an APA-accredited program and hold valid clinical licensure as a psychologist, or be license eligible in the state of Virginia by the state Board of Psychology. The Associate Dean must meet APA criteria to supervise doctoral students.
- Candidates must possess all of the following for optimal consideration:
- Experience working with the college student population and higher education, preferably at a liberal arts, residential institution
- Demonstrated experience implementing best practices in college health and wellness
- Prior administrative and supervisory experience
- A high level of personal and professional integrity, strong sense of ethics, and respect for privacy and confidentiality
- The ability to effectively manage and appropriately triage crises
- Demonstrated analytical skills to research and analyze data and information from a variety of sources to make sound recommendations and decisions
- Strong interpersonal, oral, written communication, and public speaking skills and ability to lead group discussions
- The ability to set priorities to achieve objectives and to manage multiple, diverse assignments/projects
General Information: Bridgewater offers Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in more than 60 majors and minors, along with multiple areas of emphasis and concentrations, pre-professional programs such as medicine and law, dual degree programs and teacher certification. The College is a member of NCAA Division III and the Old Dominion Athletic Conference, with 22 intercollegiate athletic teams. The vibrant 300-acre residential campus includes an equestrian center and is located in the town of Bridgewater, Virginia, near the city of Harrisonburg in the center of the Shenandoah Valley. An excellent school system, healthy business environment, numerous arts and cultural events, the state's lowest crime rate, and a variety of outdoor opportunities and historic attractions draw many to the region.
Application: Please complete the online application at www.bridgewater.edu/careers and attach a cover letter and resume (in either Word or Adobe), and include the names and contact information (email and mobile phone) for three references. The cover letter should address the qualifications contained in the profile above.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
For Additional Information: Email HumanResources@bridgewater.edu
Bridgewater College is an equal opportunity provider, committed to employing a diverse faculty and staff, and actively seeks applications from women, minorities, and other persons from traditionally under-represented groups.