About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, we've been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Manager of Technology Training
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Manager of Technology Training, and the supervision of the Coordinator of Technology Training, the Specialist will operate the helpdesk-assisting the Mills community in a broad range of computer applications and services, Mills accounts and resources, as well as general computer use questions, while supporting the Information Technology Services(ITS) department and staff. This position advances some of the goals set out in the Mills Strategic Plan by ensuring that faculty, staff, and students have access to reliable computing help to perform the work of the college.
Essential Job Functions:
- Occupy and operate the Helpdesk station and phone lines during assigned hours.
- Respond to user requests and questions in person, over the phone, through email, and via computer remote control, covering a broad range of computer applications and services, Mills accounts and resources, and general computer use questions.
- Maintain the Helpdesk application/ticketing system.
- Manage Helpdesk tickets, workflow and overall ITS staff usage.
- Maintain Helpdesk documentation.
- Receive from the Coordinator of Technology Training day-to-day direction and guidance for work directly assigned by the Manager of Technology Training.
- Assist the Training Coordinator and Manager with writing and editing of courseware, documentation, webpages, and community announcements.
- Assist the Training Coordinator and Manager, and the Desktop team with supervision and day-to-day management of student workers.
- Provide account assistance to guests of the college, including account creation, claiming, and wireless access.
- Provide account assistance for employees of the college who have reduced computing needs (e.g., security guards, pool staff, groundskeepers, etc.), including account claiming and wireless access.
- Participate in IT purchasing for ITS, including internal order processing, receiving/delivery, and paperwork.
- Participate in Training team project planning and review.
- Participate in project planning and review with the other ITS teams and the greater Mills community.
- Participate in ITS management meetings and other departments for project planning and direction setting.
- Perform related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Apple Macintosh and Windows PC operating systems.
- Mobile device operating system settings for network connectivity.
- A wide range of computer applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) as well as cloud-based resources.
- Desktop computer hardware and software installation and troubleshooting strategies.
- Computer network concepts and related equipment including network routers, wireless access points, hubs, and basic network cabling.
- Preparation of written reports and correspondence.
- Documentation creation/maintenance.
- Safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements of the department, College, and Illness & Injury Prevention Plan.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Oral, written, and organizational skills.
- Communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Maintain high personal energy level and a positive attitude, especially during stressful situations.
- Maintain complex records and be able to prepare complete and concise reports.
- Prioritize and handle multiple projects requiring independent execution.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions; work under pressure and deadlines.
- Work independently by following established principles.
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all persons contacted during the course of job performance.
- Associate degree OR
- 1-2 years' experience in computer-related hardware, software, troubleshooting, and repair.
Physical, Mental, and Environmental Demands
- Work primarily involves sitting for long hours and using office equipment while requiring attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
- The Specialist will spend the majority of assigned hours at the Helpdesk station in order to execute essential job functions as well as additional duties and responsibilities
- Work occasionally requires bending to adjust or work with office equipment.
- Work occasionally requires physical exertion such as lifting heavy objects over 50 pounds.
- The Helpdesk is located in a busy, open office area, the Specialist should expect interruptions on a regular basis, meeting with a variety of people, and addressing multiple issues at once.
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, as well as dealing with time-sensitive matters, which may cause significant stress.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
To apply, please submit the following at http://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=89338
- cover letter
- Mills application form, and
- contact information for three references.