Academic Advisor, School for Professional and Continuing Education
Lewis University invites applications for an Academic Advisor for the School of Professional and Continuing Education. The Advisor is responsible for providing quality academic advising services to current and prospective students in SPCE. In addition, the Advisor supports the Dean and works cooperatively with all SPCE personnel in accomplishing the goals and objectives of the School for Professional and Continuing Education.
Located 25 miles southwest of Chicago, Lewis University is a comprehensive, Catholic university, where the traditions of liberal learning and preparation for professional work come together to give the university its educational identity and focus. We serve a diverse student population and our values are based upon the beliefs and educational philosophy of St. John Baptist De La Salle, founder of the De La Salle Christian Brothers. Classes are offered in a variety of formats to nearly 6,600 students throughout multiple campuses in the Chicago region, in Albuquerque, N.M., and online. For additional information, please see http://www.lewisu.edu.
- Provide advisement services to SPCE and Albuquerque students including, but not limited to: academic advising, transcript evaluation, degree planning, and registration requirements.
- Connect students with resources on campus; facilitate overall navigation of the university etc.
- Conduct new student orientation for incoming students prior to their enrollment.
- Refer students to the School's Coordinator of Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) for information and assistance involving PLA
- Confer with College faculty regarding equivalency of transfer courses.
- Request/process course substitutions with appropriate department chair.
- Submit written requests to the Dean of SPCE for students requesting coursework away from Lewis University.
- Complete requisite paperwork for Registrar's Office for posting of courses taken away from Lewis to student's official degree plan.
- Work with the Registrar's Office for change of major, degree audits, etc.
- Process intent and approval forms for students pursuing fast-track eligible programs.
- Create degree plans in Banner (Degree Works), identifying “critical courses.”
- Provide academic advisement services via scheduled appointments, unscheduled walk-ins, phone and e-mail.
- Travel to satellite campuses to provide advisement services as needed.
- Determine student eligibility for honors recognition at graduation.
- Perform graduation audits; personally contact students of any discrepancies or missing courses.
- Work closely with staff in the office of Transfer Admissions in reviewing files to begin advising students once they are admitted to a program offered through the School.
- Assist with special student retention initiatives as requested.
- Assist Administrative Services with low-enrolled and cancelled classes.
- Assist with SPCE social media presence.
- Assist in building cohorts with external partnerships.
- Assist Program Directors with course projections.
- Welcome, congratulate, and provide assistance to students and their families at all senior receptions and commencement exercises as requested.
- Provide assistance with Alpha Sigma Lambda Honors as needed/requested.
- Maintain statistical records for programs concerning enrollment trends, student progress, degree trends, degree phase-outs, focus groups.
- Assist students in registration, drops, adjustments of schedules, billing questions.
Minimum Qualifications: Master's degree plus three years professional work experience in a college of university setting required. Must have previous student advising experience and previous experience working with adult students. Excellent oral/written communication skills and computer/keyboarding skills are essential. Ability to work with flexible schedules involving some evening and weekend hours required.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience with transcript evaluation, admissions and registration is preferred. Working knowledge of Banner, DegreeWorks, Blackboard, and Microsoft Office is also preferred.
Application Process: For a full description and to be considered for this position, please visit: http://jobs.lewisu.edu/postings/2612
Inspired by the Universities Mission values of Wisdom, Knowledge, Justice, Fidelity and Association, the Lewis Community declares that Lewis is a Sanctified Zone where people are committed to working to end racism, bias and prejudice by valuing diversity in a safe and nurturing environment.
Lewis University, sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to diversity. Applicants of a diverse background are highly encouraged to apply, however applications will only be accepted from individuals currently authorized to work on a full-time basis in the United States.