Director of Internships and Professional Development
Dominican University of California is seeking a candidate for a Director of Internships and Professional Development position. The Director of Internships and Professional Development is responsible for providing quality career related internship and other professional development services to undergraduate and graduate students in the Barowsky School of Business. The Director is responsible for cultivating and developing relationships with businesses and organizations to create domestic and international internships and career opportunities for the Barowsky School of Business and for the overall development, implementation, daily operation, and evaluation of the program. This position advises students, provides resume referrals to employers, maintains and nurtures professional relationships with employers, and works closely with faculty on student internship and job placement. The Director develops and delivers training sessions and printed materials for students and BSB alumni and plans and executes the Barowsky School of Business Annual Career Fair.
- Research and contact companies and organizations and network with alumni to build a dynamic internship program, both domestic and global.
- Serve as the primary contact for students, faculty, staff, alumni and employers regarding internship and career development.
- Partner with faculty and staff to support school’s internship needs, advertise and promote appropriate internships to students, organize and publicize career fairs, and other career related events through website, emails, newsletters and bulletin boards.
- Collect and review all internship contracts and assignments.
- Meet and provide one-on-one advising to students to help with interviewing skills.
- Present workshops on career exploration, resume writing, interview skills, using social media in your job search, etc.
- Create and facilitate internship orientation and professional development workshops.
- Research and stay current in employment trends and career development practices through participation in regional, national and international career organizations.
- Maintain records and data on student appointments, employer contacts, and presentations for use in school and university reports using SalesForce HigherEd.
- Utilize on-line career management system to help students in job search and collect placement data.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or a related field
- Minimum five years of professional experience
- Extensive experience networking with businesses in the Bay Area
- Ability to develop partnerships
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Current knowledge of the job market and occupations, business relations and local and international companies
- High level of professionalism and detail oriented
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Ability to:
- work independently and collaborate with faculty and staff to advance the needs of the students
- work during evenings and weekends as needed
- provide and analyze statistical data for periodic and end of year reporting.
- work in a diverse environment
- travel on behalf of the Barowsky School of Business (primarily local travel)
- represent the school and University in a friendly, courteous, and professional manner
- use a personal computer and other office equipment
- Graduate degree preferred
- Professional experience in the private sector is highly desirable
- Applicants with significant exposure to human resources function like talent acquisition, human capital development, and demonstrated ability to bring the value of a personal network of employers to our students is extremely desirable.
Additional Position Information
- Priority will be given to applications submitted by October 1, 2017; however additional applications may be considered until the position is filled
- Must be willing to consent to a background check
Dominican University of California is an independent, international, learner-centered university, offering both undergraduate and graduate programs. Dominican has a 1:10 teacher-to-student ratio, an average class size of 16, with a small-town feeling in a park- like campus. We blend interdisciplinary core courses, real-world studies, and small classes with close and supportive academic advising and mentoring.
- Link to apply: https://dominican.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/careers
- A cover letter is required
- Compile resume/CV and cover letter in one pdf document and upload in the Resume/CV section
- For further questions on the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dominican University of California is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through diversity, and takes pride in its multicultural environment. We are committed in thought, word, and deed to recruiting and retaining a workforce that values the diversity of its student body. The University actively promotes an institutional culture that practices equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of all under-represented groups in higher education.