Campus Security Corporal
The campus security corporal is responsible for ensuring the safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors to the campus. Campus security corporals also address and prevent violations of campus rules and regulations, respond to and investigate complaints and assist to suppress disturbances. The campus security corporal will be under the direct supervision of the campus police administrative sergeant. While on the shift the campus police corporal will be directly under and will take orders from the shift sergeant. The campus police corporal will be responsible for assuming command of the shift in the absence or unavailability of the police sergeant. The campus security corporal will provide specific instructions to campus security and assist them when problems arise. A campus security corporal will also ensure that departmental policies and orders are adhered to and will report violations of the rules to the Administrative Sergeant. Campus security corporals will also assist in employee evaluations and will be assigned duties to perform to assist the department in running efficiently.
1. Conducts foot and vehicle patrols to promote lawful behavior and to protect the welfare of the campus community by providing an approachable uniformed presence while on campus.
2. Secures buildings and property and responds to all calls for service or assistance, provides escorts, and responds to disturbance calls.
3. Locks and unlocks buildings, rooms, and classrooms and field locations.
4. Monitors surveillance and fire alarm systems and the emergency phone systems throughout the campus.
5. Works as a dispatcher, at times, when needed or when assigned by the shift Sergeant.
6. Acts as a first responder and provides medical attention and assistance.
7. Calls and request police officers to scenes and supports and assists campus police officers when necessary.
8. Writes and submits incident reports, parking tags, and other office correspondence.
9. Trains and evaluates other campus security officers when required.
10. Observes and coach campus security officers on rules and enforces operational orders.
11. Makes suggestions on campus policies and provides ideas to help forward the mission statement of the department.
1. Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
2. Must possess a clean driving record and be legally permitted to drive in the Commonwealth of Pa.
3. Must have at least one year of experience in the security or police related field.
4. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and self- awareness in order to control stressful and emotional situations and to detain and or subdue potentially dangerous individuals.
5. Must convey a positive, pleasant and helpful attitude as a representative of W and J College.
6. At least a high school graduate or equivalent is required.
7. Current first aid/ CPR preferred.
8. Act 235 preferred.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Stand or walk constantly on various surfaces, climb stairs, ramps, and sometimes ladders. Bend at waist, knees, neck to perform various duties. Run as needed.
2. Constant use of the eyes to observe, read, interact with the public and co-workers, view security monitors and possess good hand/eye coordination.
3. Be able to work in various environments including indoor, and outdoor conditions.
4. Constant mental alertness and attention to detail while on patrol rounds and setting priorities and following up on assignments and making sure other security personnel are conducting themselves in the same manner.
5. Ability to pass a physical examination by a certified physician.
6. Good working knowledge of techniques and practices in modern security work.
7. Maintains an operational knowledge of all departmental orders, policies and procedures.
8. Ability to communicate orally, to hear normal conversation, and to stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time.
9. Ability to solve problems and manage emergency situations while exhibiting calm and controlled composure.
Applicants should email (please type: Campus Security Corporal in the subject line) their resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Official transcripts required upon hire.
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.