The Instructional Technologist is responsible for the overall operation and management of Academic Technology which includes instructional services and support for all academic departments. The Instructional Technologist serves as the day-to-day operations manager for these functions, and is responsible for working closely with faculty members to train them and support their use of academic and instructional technology software and hardware tools. The Instructional Technologist position reports directly to the Chief Information Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of the Instructional Technologist include the following:
Oversee and coordinate the internal operation and management of academic technology in support of faculty and their use of technology for instructional purposes.
Work closely with the ITS HelpDesk operation and other ITS staff members to coordinate user support for academic departments and their functions, which includes the general use of academic resources, personal computer repairs and replacements, and upgrades of hardware and software.
Regularly exercise discretion and judgment to insure that best IT practices are followed and continuous educational and support operations are sustained. Examples include directing academic technology efforts and promoting effective uses of information technology, conducting training, directing educational and instructional technology integration projects, and working with vendors for the acquisition of equipment and support services.
Constantly develop and utilize professional knowledge, and routinely apply professional, advanced knowledge in order to sustain and enhance all technology operations. Examples include assisting with the development and management of the ITS fiscal budget, the IT strategic plan, and the creation and review of policies and procedures for technology use across the enterprise.
Work in conjunction with all members of the ITS staff and other departments to deliver high quality services and support.
- Bachelor degree required, with experience in academic technologies including learning management systems, wiki and other web and web 2.0 technologies
- Excellent organizational and planning abilities
- Strong knowledge of hardware including servers, large scale systems, PC and Apple Macintosh microcomputers, printers, hand held devices, video conferencing, and other minor equipment, and a working knowledge of networked systems
- Strong knowledge of software including Microsoft application products, Microsoft Windows operating systems for clients and servers, content management and course management systems, and common academic and web programming software
- Familiarity with vendor contracts and relations
- Preferred experience with e-mail applications, web applications, MS Office suite, Sakai LMS, Qualtrics, and other instructional software, Windows, Windows Server and MacOS operating systems
- Superior written and oral communication skills: the ability to write technical documentation, policy and procedural guides, and short term / long term planning documents, and the ability to conduct presentations, seminars and workshop
Applicants should email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately.
About Washington & Jefferson College
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is a residential, selective, liberal arts college located thirty miles from Pittsburgh, Pa. The oldest such college located west of the Allegheny Mountains, W&J welcomes applications from creative and adaptable individuals who are dedicated to undergraduate liberal arts education, who cherish close interaction between faculty and students, and who enjoy participating in and promoting a diverse community committed to multicultural and global understanding.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
Apply for Instructional Technologist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly