Facilities Electrical Engineer
UNC Asheville offers a small-college setting in one of the most scenic areas of the country. Our beautiful location provides the backdrop for career-minded professionals who value work and life balance. UNC Asheville employees embrace and reflect the university's core values of diversity and inclusion, innovation and sustainability as we build a respectful, vibrant, responsible and inclusive campus community.This position oversees the work of architects, engineers, construction management firms, and general contractors hired by the University to design and construct capital projects. Ensures the work performed by these firms meets the University's project intent and design standards. Ensures projects are delivered within budget and on time. Ensures projects incorporate sustainable/LEED principles where appropriate. Monitors consultant and contractor work to ensure compliance with University and State Construction Office regulations and procedures. Manages the formal processes for construction administration and assists with negotiating consulting contracts. The position also provides long-term vision, direction, strategic planning, oversight and consultation for electrical systems.
The Facilities Electrical Engineer will serve as the campus primary electrical knowledge base and will be required to have working knowledge of medium voltage 12,470 volt underground electrical infrastructure. The Engineer will also:
- Provide national Code and NC state guideline compliant power calculations.
- Sign off on electrical design small projects.
- Organize and conduct meetings for projects or delegate authority to resident campus project managers and electricians.
- Demonstrate and share knowledge of LED requirements and be well versed in new LED lumen calculations.
- Be capable of gathering needed illumination information first hand.
- Work with State Construction Office (SCO) engineers for cost effective construction designs that are state guideline compliant.
- Be willing to receive input from maintenance staff on design needs.
- Be responsible for managing all aspects of both formal and informal projects ranging from $1K to $40MM.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering;
- North Carolina Professional Engineer's License, or
- a license in another state with reciprocity and
- ability to obtain a North Carolina Professional Engineer's License within 6 months from date of hire;
- Ability to demonstrate practical experience of 4-6 years of electrical project engineering experience and 10-12 years of practical experience in the construction/design engineering business;
- Familiarity with and/or certification in such programs as
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM) from the Association of Energy Engineers (AEE),
- ASHRAE Building Energy Assessment Professional (BEAP), or
- Professional Energy Manager (PEM) through NC State University.
Learn more about this vacancy, and apply online at http://jobs.unca.edu/. Applications accepted through October 15, 2017.UNC Asheville is committed to equality and diversity of experiences for our students, applicants and employees. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply regardless of socio-economic status, gender expression, gender and sexual identity, culture, and ideological beliefs. UNC Asheville is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will not discriminate against applicants and employees on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other legally protected status with respect to all terms, conditions, and privileges of university-sponsored activities, employment, and the use of university facilities.