Instructional Support Assistant-Health Information Technology
Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth. For faculty interested in research, the college maintains a teacher-scholar program to support research including applied research that complements our emphasis in experiential learning, civic engagement and sustainability.
Department: Physical & Life Sciences
Location: Alfred, NY
Posted: Sep 12, '17
Type: Part-time Temporary
- Facilitating students in the process of finding placement for their professional practice experience (PPE), monitoring PPE contract process with ASA, monitoring student progress during completing of each PPE, evaluating submitted assignments and assessments, and calculating/submitting final grades.
- Manages the registration process of the AHIMA virtual lab (VLab) for students and assisting Health Information Technology (HIT) and Coding & Reimbursement Specialist (CRS) faculty with reviewing VLab assignments.
- Creates and maintains HIT and CRS student folders and tracking forms.
- Assists Program Director with prospective student requests.
- Maintain curriculum statistical and informational reports.
- Sending out graduate surveys and maintaining survey results.
- Monitor noncredit ExamPrep courses in Blackboard and update yearly.
- Attends academic program and department meetings.
- Works with requesting colleges to negotiate 1+1 articulation agreements with career colleges and community colleges that do not offer such programs (to continue increasing Alfred State's HIT and CRS academic program enrollment).
Required Education and Experience:
- Associate degree in Health Information Technology from a CAHIIM-accredited academic program
- Registered Health Information Management Technician (RHIT) certification by the American Health Information Management Association or RHIT eligible.
- Active membership in the American Health Information Management Association
- Minimum of three (3) years of health information management (HIM) work experience in an acute care hospital.
- Experience with medical coding, electronic health record, and legal aspects of HIM.
- Experience with complex computer applications such as Blackboard, AHIMA's Virtual lab instructional environment, encoders, and so on.
- Communicating effectively in both oral and written English.
- Interacting effectively with colleagues, staff, students, and administrators.
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and resume.