Director of Communications and Alumni Relations
The Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at the University of Denver has a job opening for a Director of Communications and Alumni Relations. The division is home to five academic departments: Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Geography and the Environment, Mathematics and Physics and Astronomy. The division offers over 30 degrees ranging from Bachelor of Arts to Doctor of Philosophy as well as having many active research labs funded through extramural sources.
The Director of Communications and Alumni Relations will provide strategic direction regarding communications, brand messaging, and alumni development for the Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. Reporting to the Dean, the successful candidate will be responsible for the ongoing leadership, oversight, and development of strategies and processes for the Communication and Alumni Relations program in the division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (NSM) and be accountable for the services provided.
- Actively manage the operations of the program.
- Make complex decisions to ensure program objectives are met.
- Contribute to overall planning of the program.
- Reach out to current and prospective donors and alumni to raise awareness of division achievements and needs.
- Coordinate lectures and other division events and market to donors, alumni, faculty, staff and students.
- Seek out and report on the achievements, research and notable events of the division, faculty and students.
- Draft, edit, and publish the division newsletter which is sent to alumni, faculty, staff and donors.
- Liaise with University Departments such as Marketing & Communications, Advancement, Admissions, and Alumni Relations ensuring the division brand is on point.
- Provide direction and support to departments with regard to recruitment and advertising.
- Photograph division events; and maintain the divisions website and provide website support to departments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with limited direction.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to compose informative, accurate and engaging articles.
- Comfortable communicating via phone or in person with alumni and donors in a professional manner.
- Ability to work well with faculty, staff, students, alumni, donors, and the general public.
- Detail oriented.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and website maintenance.
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least 5 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in marketing, communications, public relations, and/or donor relations.
- Experience in the design, development, and implementation of sophisticated communications and marketing strategies.
- Strong writing, communications, design, planning, project management and webpage management skills.
- Master's degree in communications, marketing, journalism or related area.
- 6-8 years of communications and/or marketing experience.
- Experience with events planning.
- Membership in professional organizations such as PRSA.
- Experience in a higher education setting.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with occasional evenings and weekends depending on events schedule.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Monday, September 25, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Leanne Bokinskie at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.