Job Title: Gardener
Job ID: 24115
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 0743, Range 1
Salary Range: $2,990/month to $4,946/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
About the Position
Facilities Development & Operations (FD&O) is comprised of four primary departments: Planning Design & Construction (PDC); Maintenance & Operations (M&O); Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) and Administrative Services (AS). San Jose State University is comprised of a main campus, a south campus, and a center at Moss Landing. In total, the facilities inventory comprises of approximately 6M square feet of buildings on approximately 160 acres of land. With a staff of approximately 240 facility professionals comprised of managers, engineers, architects, administrative staff, journeymen, groundskeepers, custodians, and others.
In accordance with scheduled and periodic instruction, the Gardener is responsible for the performance of all aspects of gardener work including athletic sports turf care, preparation of sports fields surfaces, designing, stripping and painting lines for intercollegiate athletic fields, irrigation systems repair, herbicide spraying and pest control, and heavy grounds equipment operation. This position is responsible for the general upkeep and maintenance of all landscaping and sports fields, ensuring a clean, safe and attractive learning environment. Position makes decisions based upon sound grounds maintenance practice. Researches and recommends supplies and materials for area of responsibility.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
General Up-Keep, Maintenance, and Beautification of Sports Fields and Golf Course
- Cultivate and maintain a variety of sports turf.
- Determine suitability of sports turf for specific areas.
- Responsible for the preparation and lining of athletic fields to required dimensions.
- Prepare playing field according to specifications for each sport.
- Thatch, aerate, fertilize, over-seed the turf.
- Determine irrigation needs based upon weather conditions and event scheduling.
Perform Skilled Horticulture Work in Specialized Planting Areas
- Trim/edge shrubs, ivy, ornamental plants, and lawn.
- Plant, cultivate, fertilize and irrigate ornamental plants, shrubs and trees.
- Amend and prepare soil for planting.
- Erect tree and plant supports as needed.
- Report any changes in tree appearance or condition to Manager, Grounds and Stadium Services.
- Set irrigation controllers based upon weather conditions and usage of fields.
- Rebuild/repair/replace quick couplers, sprinkler heads, minor valve work, and broken lines.
- Modify existing irrigation systems.
- Spray ornamental plants, shrubs, hedges, trees, lawns, weeds, flowers for pest control.
- Handle herbicides and chemicals.
- Operate spray equipment.
- Assist in operation of large and small riding mowers/tractors, dump trucks, and attachments.
- Operate large paint spray rigs and line strippers.
- Operate aerators, thatches, seeders, fertilizer spreaders and cutters.
- Operate automotive equipment.
Maintenance and Sharpening of Tools and Equipment
- Maintain spray equipment, hoses, sprinklers, tools, supplies and equipment in proper condition and repair.
- Operate and perform minor maintenance on small power-operated equipment.
- Assist in maintenance and repair of heavy equipment as needed.
Maintain Maintenance and Employee Records
- Complete daily time cards.
- Complete equipment records as needed.
- Completes work order information as needed.
To apply, please visit: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs and search for Job ID: 24115.
Equal Employment Statement:
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.