Associate Vice President of Facilities and Operations
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Department of Facilities Management is currently recruiting for an Associate Vice President of Facilities and Operations. The selected candidate will provide leadership, facilities and operations expertise, and stewardship of the university’s physical plant and infrastructure. The AVP drives safety and environmental compliance and related performance goals. The AVP for Facilities and Operations will use collaborative skills, a customer centric approach, and data to ensure that the areas within this unit are supporting the mission and strategic priorities of the University of Maryland, Baltimore through the daily work effort of the team. Areas reporting to this position include Design and Construction, Environmental Health and Safety, Maintenance and Housekeeping, Operations, and Parking and Transportation.
UMB is comprised of 6.1 million square feet of complex medical research and state of the art clinical services and teaching space located in 65 buildings on 61 acres in downtown Baltimore. Comprised of 6 nationally ranked professional schools and an interdisciplinary graduate school, UMB annually enrolls approximately 6500 students and employs over 7000 faculty, professional and support staff.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
• Provide leadership to the unit of facilities and operations through communication, planning and data analysis. Lead by example in treating others with respect, empowering employees, providing excellent customer service, being proactive and innovative, using data analysis to support decision-making, and being a strong team player. The position, in conjunction with the Vice President, will lead the effort in putting solutions in place to address the campus’ deferred maintenance backlog. The position works with university leadership to building support for safety and environmental programs and initiatives. This position will work collaboratively with other areas within Administration and Finance to remove barriers to efficient processes and customer satisfaction and advocate for additional resources when all other options are exhausted.
• Facilitate effective and efficient performance for each individual unit and increase levels of efficiency, customer service, responsiveness, and problem solving ability. Manage data oversight and make recommendations to improve existing processes. Monitor client deliverables/metrics and maintain documentation on scope of service, contacts, and timeframes. Improve upon and report actual results.
• Guide Operations, which, is responsible for the utilities infrastructure performance and improvement, UMB’s recycling program, sustainability efforts, and the coordination and facilitation of deferred maintenance projects
• Ensure that Maintenance and Housekeeping have the tools necessary to provide an agreed upon standard of care for our physical plant inside and out. This position will provide guidance in the use of resources to optimize the dependability, cleanliness, appearance, and safety of our facilities and grounds.
• Responsible for ensuring the efficient operations of the Design and Construction unit, which will lead to greater customer satisfaction with major capital, minor capital, and deferred maintenance projects. Design and Construction must excel in providing project management services, facilities programming, design, and construction services to UMB and a subset of other University of Maryland System (UMS) Universities.
• Oversee the implementation of programs to create a safe working environment, promote environmentally sound practices, foster regulatory compliance, and protect the institution’s reputation through the work of Environmental Health and Safety. Services include safety training, hazard identification and risk assessment, accident investigation, hazardous material management, fire protection and life safety code compliance, and emergency response.
• Responsible for ensuring that all parking and transportation operations on the campus strive for the best parking experience for students, faculty, staff, and visitors. Parking and Transportation must be considered in a comprehensive manner with a goal of producing a great experience within an agreed upon economic framework.
• Oversee the development and implementation of the facilities and operations budget. Support the professional development and training needs of staff; make recommendations regarding staff appointments, promotion, retention, salary action, and other personnel matters within the department.
• Serve as a member and thought leader of the senior administration and finance team at UMB. Serve and participate in campus leadership committees and search committees. Develop and maintain professional and community relationships to build an understanding and commitment to University objectives among state/local government and community representatives.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education: Master’s Degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, Facility Management, Construction Engineering, Business Management or a related field of study.
Experience: Twelve (12) years of combined progressively responsible management experience in facilities operations & management and/or design and construction with at least seven (7) years of senior leadership responsibility for a large, complex physical plant. Must have strong planning and budget experience. Experience with various project delivery methods including but not limited to Construction Manager at Risk, Design-build, and Design-bid- build.
Supervisory: Seven (7) years of senior management experience that involved in recruitment, training and professional development of staff and directly responsible for the performance of staff.
Other: Financial Disclosure is required. This position serves at the discretion university leadership.
Experience: Demonstrated utilization of data to manage previous programs. Familiarity with research facilities operations and maintenance. Experience in a higher education environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Demonstrated leadership skills that inspire and motivate a diverse workforce; technical skill are not enough.
• Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service and experience in process improvement.
• Demonstrated ability to implement university-wide organizational change initiatives and effect cultural change.
• Demonstrated ability to, effectively, communicate complex facilities matters in lay terms, both verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated experience in project and facilities management and prioritization of needs.
• Must have a collaborative and approachable style, be a strategic thinker and able to solve problems. Skilled at making effective and timely decisions as needed.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.