Academic Advisor I
Academic Advisor I
Position Category: Staff - Full-Time
Under the direction of the Manager of Academic Advising and Student Success, advises new, prospective, and transfer students in all aspects of academic programs and provides developmental and career advising. Assists students in developing an educational plan toward graduation and manages an advising caseload toward greater student retention.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor’s degree plus one year of experience related to Summary of Duties totaling five years.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of student development.
- Knowledge of higher education student advisement retention and completion principles, techniques, programs and products.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply current best practices in student development theory.
- Knowledge and understanding of undergraduate education and undergraduate planning and implementation
- Skills in advising/counseling.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Effective analytical skills to collect, compile, analyze, and evaluate information.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills.
- Ability to assist students develop effective academic plans and career and life goals in order to promote student retention and academic success.
- Ability to work with others to accomplish organizational objectives.
- Ability to utilize technology in the academic advising process.
- Ability to perform under pressure and think quickly.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to support other departmental staff.
- Ability to be service-oriented, diplomatic, and able present ideas in user-friendly language
Discipline-specific educational background or experience. Advising experience within a higher education setting. Demonstrated commitment to creating positive working environments.
Sitting, Fine hand manipulation, Talking, Seeing, Hearing, and Vision Ability.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: $31,554- $42,072
Advertisement Number: ST31117
Open Date: 09/11/2017
Review Start Date: 09/17/2017
Close Date: 9/17/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicant: Under reference letter, please submit a list of three references
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/3114
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant’s qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.