System Engineer I
System Engineer I
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
The System Engineer I is responsible for support, monitoring services and day-to-day operations of WPI's Linux based systems. The candidate must coordinate with fellow Systems Engineers and ITS staff to implement standards and procedures to ensure repeatable processes that enable highly available systems.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for the deployment, configuration and maintenance of virtual machines.
• Responsible for triage and troubleshooting of UNIX mail system.
• Responsible for the administration, maintenance and troubleshooting of single sign-on integrations.
• Responsible for logical volume management, quota enforcement, directory expansion and permissions management.
• Responsible for day to day operations of backup and archival operations.
• Provide Linux support for WPI community.
• Provide support, maintenance and performance monitoring of the assigned systems infrastructure.
• Author and maintain documentation and contact lists of assigned systems and the interactions and dependencies between systems.
• Participate in change management processes, work with ITS staff to identify and manage risks, gaps, and competing priorities involving the systems managed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• A thorough knowledge of Linux RHEL, Ubuntu and CentOS.
• A thorough knowledge of patch management processes.
• Experience with VMware Administration.
• Experience with LDAP, UNIX mail and file system management.
• The ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all users.
Posting Date: 09/11/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4973