In the midst of a stimulating urban environment, UNC Asheville offers a small-college setting in one of the most scenic areas of the country. Our beautiful location provides the backdrop for career-minded professionals who value work and life balance. UNC Asheville employees embrace and reflect the university's core values of diversity and inclusion, innovation and sustainability as we build a respectful, vibrant, responsible and inclusive campus community.This position in the Grounds Department of Facilities Management is responsible for a broad variety of duties to help maintain the 90 acre campus. The Groundskeepers work involves pruning, weeding, pest control, planting of trees, shrubs, and perennials, mulching, fertilizing, and all aspects of maintaining lawns, trees, shrubs, and herbaceous perennials, mowing, weed-eating, snow removal, trash and litter removal, and sidewalk/road/parking lot maintenance.A clear understanding of horticultural principles and techniques is needed to properly maintain a diverse landscape of trees, shrubs, ground-covers and herbaceous perennials. Preferred candidate will be knowledgeable in:
- the use of organic products and methods including fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides
- the cultivation, pruning, spraying, and trimming requirements of shrubs and trees
- experience and a proven proficiency in safe operation of all equipment used for grounds management, including commercial riding mowers, blowers, sprayers, pruning tools, garden tools, spreaders, large snow removal equipment, etc.
- landscape construction, from transplanting large trees and shrubs to proper installation of retaining walls and pavers
- an understanding of written and oral directions to make applications of pesticides/herbicides and fertilizers
- a minimum of three years progressive experience in both horticultural knowledge and the use of grounds maintenance equipment
- ability to perform duties requiring moderate to heavy amounts of physical labor and exertion in all types of weather, may be asked to assist in the set-up of events, furniture moving, etc., as needed
- ability to work as a member of a team and independently
- ability to communicate well with the public, which is an important factor of this position
- a High School diploma or equivalent and a valid Driver's license is strongly desired.
Learn more about this vacancy, and apply online at http://jobs.unca.edu/. Applications accepted through September 25, 2017.
UNC Asheville is committed to equality and diversity of experiences for our students, applicants and employees. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply regardless of socio-economic status, gender expression, gender and sexual identity, culture, and ideological beliefs. UNC Asheville is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will not discriminate against applicants and employees on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other legally protected status with respect to all terms, conditions, and privileges of university-sponsored activities, employment, and the use of university facilities.