Part-Time After School Program Instructor
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College's campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves more than 15,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that 100** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2016. **Based on fall 2015 credit enrollment.
Requisition Number: 2017-102
Posting Start Date: 9/11/2017
Minimum Education: Bachelors
Additional Documentation: Transcripts Required (upload as other)
Part-Time After School Program Instructor
**note this contract runs from 10/3/17 through 5/3/18**
For Vacancy Announcement: Refugee Youth Project After-School Program Instructor (Elementary School)
This position is responsible for:
Providing instruction to 1st-5th grade students enrolled in the Refugee Youth Project's after-school program at Moravia Park Primary School (6201 Frankford Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21206). Responsibilities include teaching, development of instructional materials, student assessment, and following student record keeping processes and procedures.
Our program runs Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:45-6:30 p.m. Program dates are 10/3/17-12/14/17 (Fall Semester) and 1/30/18-5/3/18 (Spring Semester). We do not have program on 10/19/17, 11/21/17, 11/23/17, 3/27/18, or 3/29/18.
Instructors will be required to attend an orientation one week prior to the program start date (this will be held on-site at Moravia Park Elementary). You will have the option of getting paid to chaperone 2-4 field trips with us as well.
An After-School Program Instructor (Elementary School) is responsible for:
- Implementing and teaching a daily 40 minute ESL lesson to 2 groups of students, separated by grade/level of English
- Integrating community volunteers into your classroom, supervising and utilizing their presence effectively to best meet the needs of the students and classroom
- Maintaining a positive learning environment with appropriate academic and behavioral expectations to ensure the safety of the students at all times
- Assisting the school's Site Coordinator with transitions to/from/during program and supervising students during extra-curricular time
- Maintaining the organization and cleanliness of the classroom and all other spaces utilized
- Maintaining punctuality and good attendance, providing notification to the Refugee Youth Project Coordinator in the event of lateness or unexpected absence, as well as following organization protocol for planned absences
- Attending trainings, events and meetings for the After School Program, occasionally outside of regular hours
- Complying with program and student record keeping requirements, including compiling and submitting lesson plans each semester
- Keeping the Refugee Youth Project Coordinator and Site Coordinator apprised of issues or challenges.
- Maintaining personal and professional boundaries in the performance of the job.
- Conforming with and abiding by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Complying with the various federal, state or local laws that apply to and regulate the job responsibilities.
Employees in this classification receive supervision from the Refugee Youth Project Coordinator.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these are the exclusive duties and responsibilities of the position. Nothing in this job description restricts the College's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position. The incumbent will perform any other related duties as may be required by the supervisor.
- Bachelor's Degree in Education and/or certification in TESOL;
- Minimum of 1 year classroom teaching experience, preferably with refugee or immigrant students;
- Basic computer literacy with Google Docs;
- Be able to pass a background check through Baltimore City Public Schools
- 2+ years' teaching experience preferred;
- Experience in working with limited English proficient youth;
- Experience with lesson planning;
- Experience working with and supervising volunteers;
- Ability to involve all cultures and genders in classroom learning
- Ability to differentiate learning material for ESOL students
- Outgoing and able to work well with children
- Reliable, dedicated, enthusiastic team player
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Patience and excellent communication skills
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at 410.209.6055 or HRComplianceCoordina@bccc.edu
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.