Job Category: Academic Professional Academic Professional
University of Illinois
The University of Illinois seeks a Visiting Associate to engage in fulfilling the purpose of the Company. Specifically, this purpose is to support the operations and investment activity of IllinoisVENTURES, which provides startup and early-stage venture financing for companies derived from technology originated or developed by faculty, staff, students and/or alumni of the University. The Visiting Associate will provide support the efforts of the CEO, and the Senior Directors to promote these objectives. Additional responsibilities include:
1. Provide a broad array of mentoring and start-up services and investing expertise for select high-potential new companies derived from technology originated or developed by faculty, staff, students an/or alumni of the University.
2. Screen and evaluate prospects presented to IllinoisVentures and the Illinois Emerging Technologies Funds.
3. Establish and maintain key internal and external networks to extend the reach of IllinoisVentures to identify opportunities.
4. Develop due diligence packages for funding opportunities and support the creation of funding memos.
5. Oversee graduate level students and interns as needed.
6. Create and maintain appropriate reports and data on the IllinoisVentures portfolio and activities.
7. Source new early stage investments including meeting with founders and entrepreneurs, attending relevant conferences and networking events, and calling on new prospects.
8. Participate in all aspects of due diligence including customer and management references, market sizing and mapping, and industry research.
9. Develop and maintain financial models relating to financings, restructurings, valuation analyses and liquidity events.
10. Develop and maintain presentation materials for the Organization. This includes developing and refining presentation themes, data gathering and synthesis, and constructing professional presentation materials.
11. Other duties as assigned appropriate for a Visiting Associate.
Candidates must possess a bachelor's degree in business, science or engineering that is relevant to entrepreneurship or to the technology commercialization process with three years of relevant experience (working with technologies and/or early-stage companies is desired). Other requirements include: business skills and a general understanding of early-stage venture finance are critical qualifications; knowledge of or experience in forming and building new high tech start-up businesses; excellent written and oral communications skills. A master's or other advanced degree in business is preferred.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by October 2, 2017 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The University of Illinois conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
HR Service Center
449 Henry Administration Building, MC 341
506 South Wright Street
Urbana, IL 61801
The University of Illinois is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The System Offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
Close Date: 10/02/2017