School Counselor - University Laboratory High School (A1700555)
School Counselor - University of Illinois Laboratory High School
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has an opening for a School Counselor in the University Laboratory High School. This position is a 100% full-time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. However, please note that this is a 10-month position paid out over 12 months. As a 10-month employee, there are two months of non-service during the summer, therefore there is no vacation accrual. There is no impact to benefits or sick leave as a 10-month employee. Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. As a member of the Uni Student Services Office, the School Counselor will provide a comprehensive school counseling program, including School Counseling Curriculum, Individual Student Planning, Responsive Services and System Support, for students in grades subfreshman year (7-8) through 12th grade and will be responsible for teaching one section of Health class.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide counseling and advising for students that fosters the development and formation of the whole student and expresses care for each individual.
- Design, deliver, assess and revise a planned sequential and developmentally appropriate school counseling curriculum.
- Collaborate with departments within Uni and various units on the University of Illinois campus that support the counseling mission and assist with delivery of services to students, families and faculty.
- Meet with students to develop an academic plan and conduct course registration.
- Actively work to assist students with academic performance needs/concerns in conjunction with teachers, parents and administration.
- Assist students to identify interests and abilities and explore passions by utilizing various resources.
- Guide students in their participation in school, leadership, summer and service activities.
- Write letters of recommendation for students.
- Work with students to help find solutions for personal concerns/challenges related to home and family relations, peer relationships, health and emotional well-being.
- Address personal, behavioral, and emotional concerns - meeting with students individually, talking with families and making referrals for more in-depth counseling if needed.
- Identify outside services our students/families can utilize and coordinate follow-up when outside counseling has been referred.
- Consult with faculty, helping to develop specific action plans to address individual student needs.
- In-service faculty on related topics, when necessary.
- Respond to crisis situations; serve on Crisis Management Team.
- Read and evaluate psycho-educational and standardized testing reports.
- Teach one section of Health class.
- Ensure that all services and programs meet the highest ethical and professional standards in accordance with the American School Counseling Association and the National Association for College Admissions Counseling.
- Master's degree in a counseling-related field (School Counseling, Social Work)
- Outstanding counseling, teaching, group process, interpersonal, public speaking and written communication, advising and problem-solving skills
- Sensitivity to the academic & personal needs of students
- Ability to plan and implement effective and innovative lessons
- High degree of energy
- An understanding of and commitment to the mission & vision of University Laboratory High School
- Counseling experience in high-school setting
- Knowledge and awareness of high school age developmental, intellectual, and social issues, including special education issues and needs
- Experience working with academically talented / high achieving students
- Illinois School personnel certificate (Type 73)
Procedure for candidacy:
This position is a full-time, benefit eligible, ten-month academic professional appointment. The starting date is as soon as possible after the close of the search. For full consideration, applications should be received by September 25, 2017. Interviews may begin prior to close of the search, but a hiring decision will not be made until the search closes. Please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, resume, and the names/addresses/telephone numbers of three professional references. For further information about this position, please contact Jennifer Steiling at 217-300-2734.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Provost
Category: Academic Professional
Title: School Counselor - University Laboratory High School (A1700555)
Open Date: 09/11/2017
Close Date: 09/25/2017
Organization Name: Uni HS Counseling