Instructional Designer - Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (A1700556)
Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning invites applications for full-time Instructional Designer. Applicants who meet the position requirements are strongly encouraged to apply. The mission of Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL) is to provide leadership for reflective and responsive teaching, educational innovation, and professional development. In collaboration with academic units of the campus, CITL designs, plans, and implements credit and noncredit programs offered to diverse audiences. This position resides within Online Strategy & Development, the division responsible for initiating and supporting both on- and off-campus credit programming using a variety of instructional delivery methods.
The Instructional Designer is responsible for assisting faculty with the design, development, and management of online courses offered through CITL. Using active learning, learning theories/instructional design models, and best practices in online distance education, integrate current educational technologies to promote effective teaching strategies and to improve student learning experiences. Also provide consultation and assistance with the technical and programmatic development of assigned projects, design and develop effective online courses, evaluate the effectiveness of course design, and provide assistance with planning and coordinating materials with the course instructor(s) and the development team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with faculty and CITL staff to design and develop high-quality, online and innovative courses to be offered through CITL in cooperation with campus colleges and departments.
- Through continuous research and testing, use and disseminate various pedagogical learning theories/instructional design models and best practices in online/innovative education.
- Design online modules and integrate current educational technologies to promote effective teaching strategies and to improve student learning experiences.
- Develop online instructor and student tutorials, as well as face-to-face training sessions and workshops.
- Facilitate and coordinate administrative aspects of course development, delivery, and support.
- Provide assistance with planning and coordinating materials with the course instructor(s) and development team.
Required: Bachelor's Degree in Education or teaching-related discipline.
Preferred: PhD in Education or teaching-related discipline.
Required experience and qualifications:
- One year of experience working in a full-time instructional design capacity, collaborating directly with college faculty in online curriculum-building and web-based course development.
- Experience in leading multiple, complex projects.
- Experience in face-to-face or online classroom teaching or workshop facilitation.
- Good understanding of pedagogy and learning theories/instructional design models, particularly in on-line settings.
- Demonstrated competence in working with learning management systems/online learning platforms.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Great attention to detail and the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to prioritize, schedule, and meet deadlines.
- Some familiarity with HTML/CSS, multimedia (including images, audio, and video), and development tools (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, or related tools).
Preferred experience and qualifications:
- Experience leading an online course development department.
- Five years experience working in a full-time instructional design capacity, collaborating directly with college faculty in on online curriculum-building and web-based course development.
- Experience conducting educational research.
- Proven ability to stay current with rapidly changing technologies.
- Experience with conferencing and collaboration environments such as Elluminate/Collaborate.
- Experience with social networking and collaboration tools (discussion forums, wikis, biogs, etc.) in asynchronous learning environments.
Application: This position in a 100% full-time, benefit's eligible Academic Professional position. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications and the start date will be as soon as possible after the close of the search. To ensure full consideration application materials must be received by September 25, 2017. Interviews may begin prior to the close of the search however a hiring decision will not be made until after September 25, 2017. All candidates must create a candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of interest, resume, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Jennifer Steiling at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Provost
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Instructional Designer - Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (A1700556)
Open Date: 09/11/2017
Close Date: 09/25/2017
Organization Name: Center Innov in Teach Learn