University of Colorado School of Medicine
Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics, Kempe Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Child Abuse and Neglect
CPT - Physician (Assistant Professor)
Position #738080- Requisition #10995
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and inter-professional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics, Kempe Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Child Abuse and Neglect has an opening for a full-time Child Protection Team (CPT) Physician at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank.
This Child Abuse Pediatrician will join our Child Protection Team and provide emergency department, outpatient and inpatient child abuse assessments in a multidisciplinary setting and participation in collaborative call schedule with our established team of medical colleagues that covers nights and weekends. Commitment to excellence in education of medical students, residents, fellows and other multi-disciplinary trainees is an expectation.
Examples of Work Performed:
This is a professional position involving the practice of medicine as a faculty member. Duties are performed in accordance with:
- established standards and ethics of medical and nursing practice
- personal qualifications, and
- the administrative policies and operational procedures of the Kempe Center.
Within this framework, duties are carried out with considerate latitude for independent professional judgement and action.
Specific duties include:
- Perform thorough and accurate medical evaluations and design a treatment plan in accordance with medical guidelines and standards.
- Consultation, inpatient, and outpatient care of children for suspected child maltreatment at Children's Hospital Colorado, its network of care, and Denver Health Medical Center is the core clinical responsibility.
- Communicate with and educate patients, caregivers, human services, law enforcement, and other agenices involved with cases.
- Make appropriate use of Pharmacy, Laboratory, Radiology, mental health, and other ancillary services in clinical decision making in accordance with the standard practice of medicine.
- Participate with other staff physicians sharing a proportionate patient load, clinical responsibilities and other team functions.
- Participate in accredited continuing medical education to acquire and maintain the professional knowledge and skills needed to carry out the responsibilities.
- Maintain current and appropriate medical credentials including a Colorado Medical License and DEA registration.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- MD or DO degree
- Full, unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of Colorado by date of hire.
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) registration.
- Eligibility to obtain medical liability insurance.
- Board certified in Child Abuse Pediatrics and in Pediatrics by date of hire.
- Possess clinical experience in both inpatient and outpatient child abuse assessment and management in a multidisciplinary setting.
Condition of Employment:
- Before the incumbent can see patients, he/she must be reviewed and credentialed by Children's Hospital Colorado and Denver Health.
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent Interpersonal skills, including communication and conflict management.
- Basic computer skills, including use of Microsoft Office and an electronic medical record.
- Seeking individuals who can work in a collaborative multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Ability to navigate complexities of work in a large academic hospital environment.
- Willingness, flexibility, and ability to meet demanding work schedules.
- Strong personal awareness regarding professionalism and resiliency self-care given nature of the clinical work.
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills, and commitment to excellence in education of medical students, residents, fellows and other multi-disciplinary trainees are an expectation.
- National and regional leadership in clinical care and education will be expected with continuing scholarly activity and / or research with a strong group of research-engaged colleagues.
- Experience working with electronic medical records, preferably EPIC.
- Willingness to work with challenging clinical situations.
- Expertise and comfort in management of complex child maltreatment cases
- Evidence of research, clinical, or educational scholarship commensurate with a career goal of progressive leadership in the field of child abuse pediatrics
- Past experience working in a collaborative multidisciplinary setting is preferred
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Andrew Sirotnak at Andrew.Sirotnak@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Applications will be accepted until the position is closed
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20932 - SOM-PEDS Kempe-GenOps
Posting Date: Sep 11, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Andrew Sirotnak
Posting Contact Email: Andrew.Sirotnak@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00738080