Custodian Team Lead
Housing and Dining Services at the University of Colorado Boulder has a Custodian Team Lead (Custodian II) vacancy.
This position assists a custodian III by providing leadership to a crew of custodians. The position also works to fulfill the basic purpose of the work unit by cleaning and disinfecting showers and bathrooms, sweeping, mopping or vacuuming floors, or by removing ice and snow from walks, steps and entrances.
A Custodian Team Lead in this position reports maintenance problems such as burned out bulbs or tubes, running water, and plugged drains to Custodian III.
Custodian positions include excellent benefits package including: comprehensive health and dental plans, PERA retirement benefits, tuition waiver, vacation and sick leave, 10 paid holidays per year, free Eco Pass (RTD bus pass)
Who we are:
This application is for a Custodian Team Lead position situated within Environmental Services of Housing & Dining Services, a work unit that exists to provide a safe, healthy, and comfortable environment for residents and staff of our residence halls, and to provide an atmosphere conducive to the goal of a Total Learning Environment for the campus.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Clean entrances of facilities daily: sweep, empty ashtrays, clean entry doors, clean out leaves and cobwebs from corners, extract entry level carpeted hallways once per week; mop all hard surface floors; spot mop spills daily; assist with stocking closets as needed with necessary supplies for the facilities; take out bulk trash; remove graffiti, spot clean carpets, and remove gum from floors as necessary
- Provide a safe and healthy environment for University of Colorado students, staff, and visitors by removing ice and snow with shovels, ice scrapers, or salt from outside walks, steps and entrances
- Empty and remove the contents of all waste or desk side recycling receptacles and properly dispose of trash and/or recyclable materials in the appropriate containers
- Dust and/or wash windowsills, blinds, woodwork, doors, clean elevator walls and control panels
- Dust overhead pipes, light fixtures and all unobstructed horizontal and vertical surfaces
- Wash door glass, blackboard frames, chalk trays and erasers
- Dust all furniture as needed
- Wash blackboards and whiteboards in classrooms
- Use backpack vacuum to thoroughly clean all floor surfaces and stairwells and vacuum upholstery as needed
- Vacuum erasers and chalk trays in classrooms and conference rooms
- Vacuum entryway mats and elevator door tracks daily
- Close all open windows, turn off lights and close and lock doors
- Perform initial emergency clean up, pick up water or debris, extract carpeted floors and upholstered furniture with disinfectant
- Clean upholstery by hand or with extractor, move or assist in the moving of heavy furniture, replace dirty linen with clean linen, and make the beds during conference season
- Stripping and finishing of hard surface floors and extracting of carpets as assigned
- Participate in the "Eyes and Ears Program" and "Emergency Response Teams" as needed
- Any duties assigned by the supervisor to fit the needs of the business
- Use specialized "touch free" restroom cleaning system to provide consistent cleaning to restrooms
- Pick up debris from floors, empty feminine waste receptacles and regular waste receptacles; restock all supplies daily; disinfect fixtures, partitions, and floors; brush-scrub restroom floors and showers; use high pressure spray to rinse partitions and floors; scrub sinks, toilets, and urinals; use squeegee tool to clean off partitions, mirrors, and counter tops
- Vacuum up dirt and debris and water from floors; use blower feature to dry floors; scrub and disinfect drinking fountains daily
Assist with supervisory duties
- Assist in planning, assigning, coordinating, inspecting and reviewing custodial routine cleaning activities
- Adjust assignments to accommodate absences
- The position must also perform supervisory substitution work in the absence of the supervisor, and other duties as required
- Assist Supervisor with ordering supply and year-end inventory supplies
- Help inspect room readiness at Move Out and Move In, also during conference session
- Any duties assigned by the supervisor to fit the needs of the business
- Clean and perform minor maintenance on all custodial equipment to keep it in proper working order.
- Report all equipment needing repairs to the supervisor
- Empty and clean all vacuums, buckets, Kaivacs, and hydro- and hepa-vacs daily
- Keep the custodial workstation clean and well stocked with supplies and materials needed to perform the work in the assigned area
- Maintain the custodial workstation in a safe manner, add water to floor drains as needed, report updates to building floor plans as needed
What you should know:
This is an essential services position. The incumbent is required to respond after hours during emergencies and report to work for regular assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
There are two schedules available: the day shift is MF, 7:00am to 3:30pm and the night shift is M-F, 3:30PM - Midnight
This position has heavy physical requirements, and must pass a preplacement physical prior to hire.
In addition, this position requires a Colorado driver's license and therefore, a Motor Vehicle (in addition to Criminal) background check will be conducted.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $2,396 per month or $28,752 per year.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be ambitious. Be challenged. Be positive. Be Boulder.
What we require:
Eighteen (18) months' work experience.
What you will need:
- Professional communication skills
- Ability to maintain quality and quantity standards
- Ability to complete work thoroughly in a reasonable amount of time
- Works accurately, neatly, and attends to detail
What we'd like you to have:
- Basic working knowledge of computers (to assign work orders, write emails to proctors)
- Previous leadership or supervisory experience
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by September 19, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-10898.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10391 - Housing-Administration
Posting Date: Sep 11, 2017
Closing Date: Sep 19, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00738295