Academic, Career, and Program Advisor
Posting Number NC870P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/22579
Working Title Academic, Career, and Program Advisor
Position Number 15708
Department Off-Campus Centers
About the University
Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country's finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation's best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
The School of Continuing Education and Academic Outreach-Global Campus is the collaborative leader that facilitates the efforts of the academic colleges, schools, and units at the University of Arkansas to develop and deliver faculty-driven, high quality, and cutting-edge online, distance, and workforce education programs and courses. The Global Campus' focus is on progressive and innovative learning solutions in addition to expanding access to educational and professional opportunities to all students (traditional, non-traditional, and working professionals).
Department Home Page globalcampus.uark.edu
Job Type Staff
Summary of Job Duties
The Academic, Career, and Program Advisor will work with students prior to enrolling in ITR programs, work with students when they are enrolled in a program, and also after the program on career placement. This position will also assist with the development and implementation of recruiting prospective students, guiding students on selecting appropriate programs, working with students on academic and career opportunities, and assisting with financial decisions on payment of programming among other issues students may encounter related to academic, career or life while enrolled in the program. The Advisor will also help students identify and enroll in other post-secondary options to continue their education. Additionally, the Academic, Career, and Program Advisor will coordinate non-credit programs related to workforce development in areas of identified need. Coordination may include duties such as marketing, program planning, communicating with instructors, organization, scheduling, and other program development duties. This position will work closely with the Assistant Director of Workforce Readiness and the Director of Training Corporate Development and Academic Outreach. The Academic, Career, and Program Advisor will also manage projects by prioritizing tasks, asking good questions and listening, interpreting information, communicating with all stakeholders, preparing schedules, building consensus, cultivating networks, identifying problems and managing teams.
Regular, reliable, and non-disruptive attendance is an essential job duty, as is the ability to create and maintain collegial, harmonious working relationships with others.
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- Bachelor's degree in education, sociology, psychology, or a related field from an accredited institution of higher education
- At least one year of experience working in a higher education setting in the area of non-credit or workforce programming OR academic advising
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? No
If yes, please specify
- Master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- At least two years of full-time experience in program management within a higher education setting
- Experience working on grants
- Project Management experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of non-credit programming
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong technical aptitude with the ability to quickly learn and adjust to new systems
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community and to build solid professional networks and partnerships
- Ability to work with students on various situations
- Demonstrated ability in developing and implementing recruiting programs
- Problem solving and critical thinking capabilities
Physical activities associated with this position
The following physical activities are associated with the position and will be performed with or without an accommodation. All individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes.
Physical Conditions None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (schedule may vary based on department needs to include occasional evening and weekends)
Overtime Eligible No
Is this position weather/event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. No
Work Location/Building Rogers, AR - Global Campus
Benefits Eligible Yes
Appointment Percent 100
Salary $32,000 - $35,000 (commensurate with experience)
Does this Position require a Motor Vehicle Reports Check? No
Does this position require a background check? Yes
If yes, please specify
- Criminal background check
- Sex offender registry check
Does this position require a substance abuse test? No
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
The University of Arkansas is committed to providing a safe campus community. We conduct background checks for applicants being considered for employment. Background checks include a criminal background check and a sex offender registry check. For certain positions, there may also be a financial (credit) background check, a Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) check, and/or drug screening. Required checks are identified in the position listing. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date
Close Date 09/26/2017
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
University of Arkansas Human Resources
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Special Instructions Summary
Please note that this position is stationed in Rogers, AR.
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
City, St. Rogers, AR
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree in education, sociology, psychology, or a related field from an accredited institution of higher education?
- * Do you have at least one year of experience working in a higher education setting in the area of non-credit or workforce programming OR academic advising?
- * Do you hold a Master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education? If so, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have at least two years of full-time experience in program management within a higher education setting? If so, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience working on grants? If so, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have Project Management experience? If so, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- List of three Professional References (name, title, email address and contact number)
- Unofficial/Official Transcript(s)
- Unofficial/Official Transcript(s) cont.
- Proof of Veterans Status