Kitchen Utility Worker - Dish Room, posting ID #2288
This position is responsible for washing dishes in dish room, sanitation and breakdown of the dish machine and dish room, final sweeping and mopping of dish room. Sanitation is a key element of this job.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Director of Operations performs the following essential duties and responsibilities.
• Set up dish machine before the start of meal service, wash dishes in the dish room and keep tray return cleared during meal service, and break down and clean dish machine at conclusion of meal service.
• Restock small wares in server/kitchen as needed. Assist as needed.
• Sweep and mop dish room, servery, and kitchen if needed due to spills.
• Keep dish room area organized and sanitary, being aware of potential cross-contamination hazards.
• Work with utility staff to maintain dish room; return kitchen and catering supplies to assigned areas, re-stock dishes in the servery.
• Final cleaning of all dishes, sanitation and breakdown of dish machine at end of say and final sweep and mop of dish room. Final emptying of all trash. Ensure loading dock remains clear of spills and debris.
• Other duties may be assigned as appropriate. This includes daily, weekly, monthly cleaning, cross training as time permits.
• Follow proper sanitation directives as established by Health Department. Comply with internal policies and procedures as they apply to food sanitation and safety within Dining Hall department. This includes but is not limited to keeping work area clean, properly/safely using equipment and keeping floor free of food/liquid that may be potential safety hazard, and adhering to agreed work schedule.
EDUCATION: Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to High School Diploma or GED that provides the required knowledge, skills and ability.
EXPERIENCE: Candidate must have experience working in a fast paced commercial kitchen.
LICENSES: A California food handler card is required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to stand, walk, bend, climb, push, pull, stoop, twist, stretch, squat, reach and lift up to 50 lbs. from floor to waist level without assistance. Must be able to work on feet for prolonged periods of time.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES: Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge skills and abilities.
• Knowledge of food sanitation policies and procedures is required.
• Must have experience working in a fast paced commercial kitchen using commercial kitchen utility equipment.
• Must be able to satisfactory understand and follow job related instructions in English, both orally and written.
• Must be able to establish cooperative working relationships and work well with minimal supervision.
• Use organizational and time management skills. Complete work with a sense of urgency, accuracy, and attention to detail.
• Deploy professional skills in in collaboration with colleagues, to best promote the College’s strategic interests and provide the best quality on campus food service. Ability to display a positive attitude.
• Ability to take and follow directions. Ability to receive and respond appropriately to constructive criticism.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this full-time position line up with a 9 month academic calendar. The regular hours for this full time position are 40 hours per week, 5 days per week, or variable schedule based on business needs. Overtime, holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or department. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
This is a 9 month position.
This is a non-exempt position.
This is a regular, full-time position.
This is a benefits eligible position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: 35-0000 Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations
Physical Requirements: Moderate (20-50 lbs.)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times. A uniform is required and will be provided.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full consumer background check. This position requires the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned, in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.