Food Service Worker - Cashier (Part-time), posting ID #2287
Greets guests as they enter the dining hall. Swipes student ID cards, takes cash from guests, communicates about the menu, and implements dining hall policies concerning take-out meals. Great customer service is a key element of this job.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Director of Operations performs the following essential duties and responsibilities:
• Greets every customer with a smile and a warm welcome. Swipes student ID cards and takes cash from paying guests, as well as answering questions about the daily menu.
• Understands and follows proper cash procedures as trained. Counts cash bank and verifies opening balance on cash reconciliation work sheet, counts out the cash sales from the meal and completes the cash reconciliation work sheet. Deposits all sales with the Dining Hall Manager and receives verifying signature.
• Maintains a clean and organized environment at the cashier station, including cleaning doors before and after opening, wiping down tables and chairs as appropriate.
• Ensures that all signage and menus are in their proper place and well-presented prior to opening for the meal period. Ensures that the checker’s desk is neat and well presented.
• Ensures To Go items are stocked before service and removed after.
• Wipes down tables and chairs before/after the meal, maintaining the cleanliness of dining area.
• Follows proper food preparation and sanitation directives as established by the Health Department. Comply with internal policies and procedures as they apply to food, sanitation, and safety within the Dining Hall department. This includes, but is not limited to, keeping work area clean, properly/safely using equipment and keeping floor free of food/liquid that may be a potential safety hazard, adhering to agreed work schedule.
• Other duties may be assigned as appropriate. This includes daily, weekly, monthly cleaning, and cross training as time permits.
EDUCATION: Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
EXPERIENCE: Cashier experience required. Experience working in the food service industry preferred.
CERTIFICATION: A Los Angeles County or California Food Handler Card required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to stand, walk, bend, climb, push, pull, stop, twist, stretch, squat, reach, and lift up to 25 pounds from floor to waist level without assistance. Individual must be able to work on feet for prolonged periods of time.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES: Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge skills and abilities.
• Cash handling skills required. Must be able to operate cash register, have accurate closing counts and give correct change. Must be able to perform basic arithmetic functions for cash handling responsibilities.
• Knowledge of POS register system and computer experience.
• Knowledge of food sanitation policies and procedures is required.
• Experience working in a fast paced commercial kitchen preferred.
• Be respectful and courteous to co-workers, customers, visitors, managers and others. Communicate clearly and professionally.
• Must be able to establish cooperative working relationships and work well with minimal supervision.
• Use organizational and time management skills. Take initiative in performance of your work tasks, and be willing to assist others as needed.
• Complete work with a sense of urgency, accuracy, and attention to detail. Ability to multitask.
• Deploy professional skills in collaboration with colleagues, to best promote the College’s strategic interests and provide the best quality on campus food services. Ability to display a positive attitude.
• Ability to take and follow directions. Ability to receive and respond appropriately to constructive criticism.
• Must be able to satisfactory understand and follow job related instructions in English.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this position line up with a 9 month academic calendar. The regular hours for this part-time position are 10 hours per week, 2 days per week, or variable schedule based on business needs. Overtime, holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or division. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
This is a 9 month position.
This is a non-exempt position.
This is a regular, part-time position.
This is a non-benefits eligible position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: 35-0000 Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations
Physical Requirements: Moderate (20-50 lbs.)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times. A uniform is required and will be provided.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full consumer background check. This position will also require the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned, in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.