Assistant Director of Communications
The University of Denver has a proud athletic tradition that compliments the schools academic endeavors. In its history, DU has won 32 national championships and enables student-athletes to compete on 17 Division 1 teams. The Pioneers pursue championships, excel academically, and represent both the University and their respective conferences to the best of their abilities.
The Assistant Director of Communications is responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with local, regional and national media to generate opportunities for publicity and exposure for all 17 men and womens intercollegiate sports. The Assistant Director of Communications is responsible for assisting with the media relations operation of Denver's 17-sport NCAA Division I athletics department and serves as the primary contact for men's hockey and two Olympic sports.
- Assist the Director of Communications in the direction of all public relations, media relations, sports information, radio and television productions, and feature stories in print and electronic media for the Division.
- Assist with the maintenance of the official athletic website: www.denverpioneers.com.
- Assist with writing and editing of the Pioneer Pulse (the Division quarterly newsletter) as assigned.
- Work directly with print and electronic media locally, regionally, and nationally via telephone calls, press releases, hometown features, publications and communication with on-line news organizations, in order to gain greater exposure for Division programs including seventeen intercollegiate programs, 300 + student-athletes, and all related coaching staff.
- Act as primary sports information contact for three to four varsity sport programs which includes, but it not limited to: Write, edit and disseminate press releases, feature stories, as well as design media brochures and game programs.
- Answer media questions, plan photography sessions, and cover assigned sporting events.
- Coordinate media relations and statistical services for all home contests.
- Travel with specified teams to establish good rapport with media assigned to cover University of Denver intercollegiate programs locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Serve as liaison to opposing institutions, media, coaches, conference offices, and the NCAA relative to exchanging statistical data and information related to sport specific honors.
- Assist in the nomination and publicity of student-athletes for various honors, award and special recognition.
- Exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and the Department of Athletics Code of Ethics and rules and regulations.
- Contribute to the maintenance and good working relationships with all members of the Division.
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned by the Vice Chancellor of Athletics and Recreation and Ritchie Center Operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to respond to common inquires and/or complaints from the public, media, etc.
- Ability to write press releases, bios, speeches and articles for publications.
- Strong basic math skills including ability to understand, analyze and manage basic program budget.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of requests furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Strong computer skills, must be able to use publishing software, create media guides, brochures and programs.
- Must be able to think quickly and concisely.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Clear understanding of NCAA rules.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with Adobe InDesign, QuarkXPress, Microsoft Word, Adobe Photoshop and Stat Crew software is strongly preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, public relations or related field.
- 1-3 years of work experience in media/public relations or marketing.
- 3-5 years of media/public relations or marketing work experience.
- 2-4 years of media/public relations or marketing working directly with a hockey team.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) Friday, September 15, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- 2-3 writing or design samples
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.