Assistant Coordinator, Special Programs Cernan Earth and Space Center
This position is primarily responsible for accurate and quality presentation of all types of planetarium programs: live and prerecorded public, school, events, and laser shows mainly on weekends and evenings.
This position must provide excellent customer service to all Cernan Center visitors, members, Triton College students, other college departments, and our surrounding communities. This position also contributes to the development of educational programs and materials.
1. Present planetarium programs: prerecorded, live, and laser shows on Saturday afternoons or evenings and Sunday afternoons.
2. Provide information and assistance in a clear and effective manner to visitors of all ages and backgrounds.
3. Learn all live programs including sky tours, the Solar System, reasons for the seasons, traveling through space, and more.
4. Operate all planetarium systems including digital planetarium, sound system, laser, and others as needed.
5. Must be able to operate the planetarium seamlessly while presenting live programs.
6. Perform other duties as assigned
1. Bachelor's Degree in Science, Communications, or Education
1. 1-2 years classroom teaching, working in a planetarium, or informal science education, including delivering complex content.
2. Familiarity with NGSS standards.
1. Able to speak in front of a large audience of all ages.
2. Answer questions from visitors of all ages in an age-appropriate manner: vocabulary, content, etc.
3. Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and other software.
4. High comfort level with computers and projection systems.
5. Physical abilities: Climb up and down stairs including a spiral staircase. Work in low light conditions. Work in a noisy environment.