Information Security Engineer
Information Security Engineer
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
Reporting to the Director of IT Security, the Information Security Engineer is a contributor to the Security Operations team. The successful candidate will be responsible for cloud security for the university, lead the response to security issues across the University network for all community members (faculty, students and staff), participate in the development and implementation of new tools and techniques to better secure WPI's data, act as an internal consultant, become a subject matter expert in multiple aspects of information security and cross-train and mentor other members of the team.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Architect, implement and manage WPI’s presence in multiple tier one cloud enviroments
• Engineer, implement and monitor security measures for the protection of WPI’s data network and all associated devices.
• Identify and define system security requirements.
• Design computer security architecture and develop detailed cyber security designs
• Prepare and document standard operating procedures and protocols.
• Configure and troubleshoot security infrastructure devices.
• Develop technical solutions and new security tools to help mitigate security vulnerabilities and automate repeatable tasks.
• Ensure situational awareness during security incidents.
• Submit comprehensive reports, including assessment-based findings, outcomes and proposals for further system security enhancement.
• Proven work experience as a system security engineer or information security engineer.
• Experience building and managing security of Tier-1 cloud environments.
• Experience in building and maintaining security systems
• Detailed technical knowledge of database and operating system security
• Hands on experience in security systems, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, anti-virus software, authentication systems, log management, content filtering, etc.
• Experience with network security and networking technologies, system security and networking tools.
• Thorough understanding of the latest security principles, techniques, and protocols.
• Familiarity with web-related technologies (Web applications, Web services, Service Oriented Architectures) and of network/web related protocols.
• Problem solving skills and ability to work under pressure.
• Familiarity with Computer Security Incident Response (CSIRT) practices and processes.
• BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Posting Date: 09/08/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4959
WPI’s reputation as a rigorous and innovative university rests on the shoulders of its faculty. A highly selective, private technological university and one of the nation’s first, WPI believes that when great minds work together, great advances follow. At WPI the boundaries to multidisciplinary collaboration are low—faculty members, students, and other partners work together on the real-world projects and purposeful research that are hallmarks of the WPI experience. We are most proud of a recent No. 1 ranking for “faculty who best combine research and teaching.” (Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Ed, 2016) Located one hour west of Boston, the university’s campus is in Worcester, Massachusetts, a thriving 21stcentury college city recognized as a growing hub of scientific and technological innovation.