Open September 11th, 2017 through October 27th, 2017
The University of California, Irvine's Institute for Memory Impairments and Neurological Disorders (UCI MIND) has an opportunity for an Assistant Specialist to participate in cutting-edge research on the molecular pathogenesis of Alzheimer disease. The successful candidate will be participating in animal experiments investigating a specific mechanistic hypothesis about how risk factors occurring at early ages can trigger the transition from normal aging to Alzheimer's disease much later in life. The successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out independent research under the supervision of the PI. Duties will include maintenance of a small animal colony, the execution of brain surgeries in mice to enable long-term administration of experimental compounds, and the characterization of these mice in terms of neuropathological endpoints relevant to Alzheimer disease.
Successful candidates must have at least a Master's Degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or a related life science area. We are especially interested in applicants with proficiency in the following areas:
- Mouse surgeries, specifically intracerebroventricular drug delivery via osmotic pumps
- Mouse colony maintenance
- Neuropathogical techniques for characterizing an Alzheimer disease mouse model, including tissue preparation, immunohistochemistry, Western blotting and ELISAs
The candidate must be able to manage the project independently and execute efficiently within a complex organization; therefore, excellent interpersonal and organizational skills are essential. Good oral and writing skills are helpful but not essential. This position will be appointed at the level commensurate with the education and experience of the individual candidate.
Please submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae which should include a record of research experience and the names of three references before 10/27/2017 to:
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Job location Irvine, CA
More information about this recruitment: http://www.mind.uci.edu
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Research
- Statement of Teaching (Optional)
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
2 references required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now