Sr. Security Engineer
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Division of Information Technology (it.gwu.edu) is the chief provider of technology infrastructure, services and applications at GW. The Division partners with stakeholders across GW to equip students, staff and faculty with the technology know-how and tools necessary to achieve academic excellence. Reporting to the Director of Information Security Services, the Senior Security Engineer works within the Division's Information Security & Compliance Services department.
This position is comprised of equal parts design and hands on implementation. In the design realm, the Senior Security Engineer serves as a consultant to the University in matters related to Information Security. The Senior Security Engineer acts as a "hands-on" technical security architect and as such, recommends technical and process security enhancements to the Director of Information Security to augment the security posture of George Washington University. The Senior Security Engineer reviews, revises, and authorizes all enterprise firewall change requests based on their research and evaluation of the change requests effects on overall university network security. The incumbent reviews research, monitors technical landscape, and works with peer institutions in order pro-actively identify security enhancements and lead initiatives to ensure successful implementation of solutions delivery of superior information security services. The Senior Security Engineer also has hands on responsibilities for managing and improving the function of the suite of IT security tools utilized at the University. The incumbent participates in active troubleshooting of data flows, as well as evaluating and collaborating on the implementation of new security tools.
The successful candidate displays strong knowledge of computer security concepts as well as the ability to clearly communicate security risks associated with vulnerabilities. The position may be based either at GW's Foggy Bottom campus in Washington, DC or Virginia Science & Technology campus in Ashburn, VA but may require occasional travel between locations.
The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Subject matter expertise across the Information Security spectrum to include (but not limited to):
- Firewall and Network Security
- Security Architecture
- Cloud Security & Network Defense
- Strong ability to implement changes through informal influence and technical leadership.
- Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills to resolve highly complex security design issues and create new security solutions.
- Ability to understand large scale enterprise network architecture (multiple locations, 50K+ users).
- Experience and in-depth working knowledge of multiple technical disciplines including common Internet protocols, routing/switching, firewalls, network security monitoring technologies, IDS/IPS, and networking protocols including (OSPF, MPLS, BGP, IPv6).
- Understanding of cloud security standards and best practices for IaaS/PaaS/SaaS.
- Experience with all or some of the following systems and products:
- Palo Alto NGFW, Gigamon, Netoptics, Solarwinds Netflow, Silk, and fiber optics
- FireEye, Cisco Firesight, Sourcefire, Splunk
- Encase Enterprise
- Vulnerability scanners
- Windows Active Directory, Windows OS, Unix/Linux OS
- Knowledge of any scripting languages (WMI, Powershell, Perl, Python, Regex, etc.) is a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Ashburn College/School/Department: Division of IT Family Information Technology Sub-Family Systems Security Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday-Friday (TBD) Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search, Credit, Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search, Credit Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to gain a better understanding of your experience, the professional experience section of your resume must include months in addition to years. For example, instead of “2014 – 2015,” it should include “April 2014 – January 2015” or similar information.Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S005546 Job Open Date: 09/08/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Does the professional experience section of your resume include months?
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter