English Language for Academic Purposes Full time Faculty F02049
English Language for Academic Purposes (ELAP) Full-time Faculty
$58,844 - $81,821
This position is part of a collective bargaining unit and requires payment of dues or a service fee.
Assignment begins January 2018.
Online applications must be received by Friday, September 29th, 2017 .
Montgomery College, Rockville Campus, has a need for a Full-Time English Language for Academic Purposes (ELAP) faculty member (F02049) in the ELAP, Linguistics and Communication Studies Department beginning January 2018. We are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated teacher who exhibits a high degree of professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, and demonstrates the ability to motivate and educate in an engaging manner. The successful candidate will be committed to teaching in a multi-cultural, two-year environment, and welcome the opportunity to work with students with diverse learning abilities. Montgomery College provides an excellent opportunity to teach in a large, urban community college setting.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Teach English as a second language (ESL) courses that focus on English for Academic Purposes, including composition, reading, and speaking and listening courses.
- Teach 30 semester hours per academic year of courses related to ESL during the day and/or evening.
- Teach a varied schedule of courses that may include day, night, early morning, weekend and/or accelerated sections, online, or on another campus if needed. Opportunities may exist for teaching summer classes.
- Serve on, or lead, department, discipline, campus and college committees; participate in course and program development; and mentor part-time faculty.
- Engage students in their learning through active collaborative learning approaches.
- Incorporate the use of educational enterprise platform such as Blackboard and other relevant technology into instruction, including inexpensive or no-cost resources in the development and delivery of instruction.
- Meet with students outside of class to assist them with being successful college students.
- Apply culturally relevant pedagogies to the teaching and learning process.
- Advise students on appropriate courses for transfer and degree completion.
- Maintain an active program of professional development and participate in professional organizations and activities.
- Master's degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, or related field with a minimum of 18 graduate credits in TESOL and/or Applied Linguistics.
- Experience teaching multicultural students ESL composition / reading / oral communication or EAP
- Knowledge of a second language and experience with other cultures.
- Ability to integrate technology and classroom-related computer software and portals, including Blackboard, for course delivery
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Demonstrated versatility and innovation in teaching methods that enhance the learning and language acquisition of a multicultural student population.
- Experience and/or willingness to take on leadership roles within the discipline and department.
- Experience and/or interest in curriculum development.
- Evidence of ongoing professional development.
- Computer literacy, including accessing information for advising purposes.
- Experience teaching multicultural students ESL composition / reading / oral communication or EAP in a post-secondary setting.
Application Process :
- Online applications must be received by Friday, September 29th, 2017 . To apply, please visit http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
- You can update and edit information up to the closing date for the receipt of applications for a specific job announcement.
- For consideration, you must:
- Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
- Complete a set of pre-screening questions
- Submit a cover letter and unofficial transcripts from your highest earned degree with your aplication.
Failure to complete the pre-screening questions will automatically result in your elimination from consideration for this position.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire :
- Successful completion of a background check
- Participation in a retirement plan
- Submission of an official transcript of the degree required for the position
- Submission of three letters of professional reference
Note: This recruitment effort can take 6-12 weeks (from the deadline date) to fill.
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace.
For disability- related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.