TRIO/Student Support Services Advisor
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a Student Support Services Advisor for the Federal TRIO Program.
The Primary responsibility of the TRIO Student Support Services Advisor is to promote the success of participants in the TRIO/SSS grant program. The TRIO/SSS Advisor reports to the Director of TRIO/Student Support Service and performs the following functions:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• The advisor serves as the academic advisor of the students recruited into the TRIO/SSS Program.
• Provide the academic advising component for the TRIO/SSS program, as well as perform team functions as specified in the grant. These advising duties include, but are not limited to the following activities:
• Meet individually with assigned program participant at least twice a semester.
• Facilitate group counseling sessions as needed.
• Assist program participants in developing study groups as needed.
• Accept referrals from the director.
• Work in a team approach with the project director and other staff as appropriate.
• Work closely with teaching faculty of both developmental and non-developmental courses in the following manner:
• Serve as a primary source for referrals from faculty who perceive students needing greater assistance that has been provided through project activities in the classroom.
• Review early warnings from faculty for each project student and implement aggressive intervention mechanisms with these students to resolve academic and attendance problems.
• Document the interventions described above.
• Facilitate communication between project staff, faculty, tutors, the project director and students.
• Conduct individual career conferences in which the information regarding student interests is discussed, personality and interest inventories are administered, and career plans and procedures charted for each student.
• In addition to the above duties, the Advisor shall act as a transfer advisor for those students interested in transfer programs. Activities included in transfer advising includes, but is not limited to the following:
• Facilitate special workshops with small groups of students regarding topics of concern such as resume preparation, applications procedures, and other transfer issues.
• Provide transfer advising assistance with application procedure to four-year institutions and financial aid planning for transfer.
• Coordinate visits to regional four-year institutions by interested project students.
• Maintain appropriate records documenting services provided to students as required by the grant as well as the College.
• Develop and provide workshops and seminars which address student needs.
• Participate as a member of the TRIO/SSS Division in the formulation of programs, goals, and projects, and in the implementation of these goals and projects.
• Perform networking/liaison function with community agencies and organizations in areas of mutual concern and coordinate delivery of services to targeted population.
• Perform other functions as assigned by the Director of TRIO/SSS.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Education, Counseling or related field and 1 (one) year of experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Procedures and practices in public relations.
• Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal, and communication skills.
• Interviewing and advising skills.
• Confidence in advising students and supervising them with difficult and unusual problems.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to read and review materials for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Posting Number 20110610
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts
- Optional Documents