Student Asst I
Nature of Work
This is a part-time (5-10 hours per week) student position at the Barbara Davis Center for Diabetes. The Barbara Davis Center for Diabetes (BDC) is a multi-disciplinary diabetes center located on the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. The BDC is affiliated with the University of Colorado Denver's School of Medicine. The duties include community health education and screening for type 1 diabetes and basic processing of laboratory samples received from screened participants.
This position will report to Principal Investigator (PI) Dr. Kimber Simmons, professional research assistant Erin Youngkin and other investigators as needed.
No supervision of others is required of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
This is a position requiring an enthusiasm for community health and education programs and knowledge or interest in diabetes. The candidate will be self-directed and independent with good organizational skills. Excellent communication, interpersonal, and team work skills are also required.
Duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Organize, manage and maintain data utilizing Microsoft Word, Excel & Access programs
• Perform venipuncture/capillary puncture, process and ship samples per protocol specification
• Follow research protocols, recruit study participants, obtain informed consents
• Develop research protocols and informed consents in collaboration with Principal Investigator (PI)
• Coordinate Type 1 Diabetes screening efforts with 9Health Fair staff, site coordinators, and volunteers
• Participate in study meetings and trainings as required
Bachelors of Arts or Sciences degree in progress or completed.
- Patient interaction and/or interviewing experience Phlebotomy and handling of biological samples preferred Knowledge of and experience working with type 1 diabetes
Special Instructions to Applicants:Working Conditions This position works based upon the scheduled dates and times for community health fairs or other events, which are most often on weekend mornings. The position requires self-transportation to community health fair sites in the Denver metro area. The position will be located at the Barbara Davis on the University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz medical campus in Aurora, CO.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach: 1) Letter of application (cover letter) which specifically addresses the job requirement and outlines qualifications 2) Current CV/resume 3) Names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three (3) professional references.
Job Category: Professional Support Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20061 - SOM-Barbara Davis Center
Posting Date: Sep 8, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Talisha Bell
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00739039