Scientific Lab Assistant
Scientific Lab Assistant
Scientific Lab Assistant 9 mon
Biological Sciences - 121100
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Friday, flexible between 7:30AM- 1:00PM
The Department of Biological Sciences provides professional expertise and service to local, state, national, and international constituencies, while promoting the discovery, advancement, and dissemination of basic and applied knowledge in the life and environmental sciences.
This is a part-time benefits-eligible position that works only during the 9 month regular school year.
The Biological Sciences Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Scientific Lab Assistant to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Remediate, clean, and prepare instructional laboratories for use by students.
* Maintain safe environment in prep and instructional areas.
* Clean and arrange for maintenance of equipment in instructional labs.
* Culture and maintain microorganisms for use in instructional laboratories.
* Prepare culture media and reagents for use in instructional laboratories.
* Direct activities of student prep personnel.
* Set up demonstrations (as needed); test and trouble-shoot (minimal) laboratory protocols.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The preferred candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and one year of related scientific or laboratory experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* General understanding of and competence in the field of science related to position.
* Knowledge of special equipment used in teaching laboratories and/or test instruments, repair equipment, tools and parts in use in the electronics field.
* Ability to teach and/or supervise others through demonstration and verbal communication.
* Knowledge of scientific techniques, methods and procedures.
* Ability to locate and replace defective parts and troubleshoot technical equipment.
* Ability to prepare accurate assays or perform arithmetical computations and maintain detailed records.
* Skill in conducting tests and measurements.
* Skill in observation and analysis.
* Physical dexterity, agility, and strength sufficient to perform work involving standing, lifting of equipment, and assembling and using of equipment.
* Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Bachelor's degree and/or specialized training in Microbiology.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting