CMHT-Gen - 137000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm, some Saturdays
The mission of the College of Merchandising, Hospitality and Tourism is to provide excellence in educational programs and research that result in national recognition as a leader in preparing professionals for careers in the retail/merchandising, hospitality and home furnishings industries.
UNT is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide Equal Employment Opportunities (including provisions for training, development, transfer and promotion) for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran's status.
The College of Merchandising, Hospitality and Tourism at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire an Academic Counselor to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Provide advanced advising and academic counseling to assigned student populations.
* Develop and implement programs and procedures to promote greater retention and timely graduation for students in CMHT.
* Correspond to student questions via email, phone, or mail.
* Familiarize students with general requirements for particular majors.
* Counsel assigned students on careers related to their majors
* Attend, represent, and actively participate at conferences and professional meetings involving advising and student services.
* Develop programs and procedures to promote greater academic success among students.
* Lead specialized advising workshops.
* Provide advanced academic counseling for students in complex situations.
* Assist with advising for Transfer and Freshman Orientations.
* Advise on transferability of credit from other schools and on AP/IB/CLEP exams.
* Process degree audits and graduation applications.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Master's Degree and two years of experience in student affairs, student services, counseling, professional academic advising, or related experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
* Knowledge of Texas rules and regulations related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
* Strong presentation skills.
* Strong problem solving skills.
* Strong critical thinking skills.
* Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing.
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to work independently.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Masters degree in Counseling, Higher Education, or related field.
* Familiarity with CMHT degree programs and UNT policies and procedures.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and transcript with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting