JOB NO.: 90907-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: CALS/PLANT PATHOLOGY
Categories: Agricultural, Animal, Biological and Life Sciences, Natural Resources, Environmental Sciences, Plant Sciences, Research, Scientific
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 90907-AS
Working Title: Assistant Researcher
Official Title: ASST RESEARCHER(E05LN)
Hiring Department: A074800-COL OF AG & LIFE SCIENCES/PLANT PATHOLOGY
Anticipated Begin Date: JANUARY 01, 2018
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $40,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
M.S. degree in Plant Pathology, Entomology, Weed Science, Agronomy, or a related discipline.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
M.S. plus 1-2 additional years of experience conducting plant pathology field experiments is desired along with:
* A strong background in the principles and concepts of plant pathology.
* An excellent understanding of agricultural field experimentation.
* The ability to design, implement, and analyze data for plant pathology field experiments.
* Applicant must be competent and comfortable in the use of computer spreadsheets, databases, word processing, statistical analysis software, and electronic communications.
* Strong written and verbal communications skills required.
* A farm background and experience in cropping agriculture is highly desirable.
* Applicant should competent and comfortable in the use of planting equipment, sprayers and plot combines with their associated specialized electronics.
License or certificate:
* Driver's License required.
* Ability to obtain a Wisconsin Certified Pesticide Applicator license in categories appropriate to job responsibilities. Must obtain Wisconsin Certified Pesticide Applicator license within 6 months.
The Wisconsin Field Crops Pathology program in the Department of Plant Pathology conducts research and outreach leading to sustainable production of field crops, which include corn, soybeans, wheat, and alfalfa. This position requires knowledge of plant science to support research in the program.
* Applicant must be willing to work flexible hours upon occasions, including weekends.
* Must be able to be approved by UW-Madison Office of Risk Management to operate ARS tractors, vehicles, and other powered equipment.
* The research is conducted throughout the state so extensive travel is required.
Instructions to applicants:
Apply online with cover letter and resume.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Sep 8 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: Oct 8 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time