Information Security Analyst I
San Marcos, TX
Texas State University
Information Security Analyst I
Job Number: 2018008
Location: San Marcos
Department: Information Security Office
Recruitment Type: Open to All
Job Type: Full-Time
Monthly Salary: $5,000 + Commensurate with experience/qualifications
Job Category: Exempt
To be considered for the ISA I position, candidates must possess all of the following:
• Baccalaureate degree in a technical field or equivalent relevant and progressive work experience
• Prior fulltime experience in a technical role
• Prior experience using contemporary tools and technologies for vulnerability scanning, remote system administration, network monitoring and protection, security notification, and risk assessment
• General understanding of the structure and protocols in the TCP/IP suite and other networking technologies
• Knowledge of computer networks, server and desktop operating systems
• Ability to forge and sustain effective and productive working relationships between diverse members of project teams and work groups
• Strong organizational, analytical and problem solving skills
• Heightened concern for confidentiality and attention to detail
• Effectiveness in dealing with multiple concurrent assignments and sudden changes in priorities
• Strong oral and written communication skills, especially the ability to effectively impart complex or technical subjects to diverse audiences
• Willingness and availability to work occasional weekend/evening assignments and overtime in both scheduled and unscheduled activities.
• Extensive knowledge of security risks, controls, and risk mitigation options applicable to computer networks, server and desktop operating systems, communication protocols, and software applications
Preference will be given to candidates with the following additional attributes:
• Demonstrated ability to devise innovative security solutions and strategies to address unique requirements and situations
• Two or more years of experience configuring and operating network and host-based firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention systems, vulnerability scanning tools, secure data transmission technologies (e.g., SSL VPN, IPSEC, SSH), and network monitoring/protection solutions
• Experience performing computer and network forensic analysis
• Prior full time experience as an information security professional in a Higher Education or similarly open and decentralized environment
• Experience using structured, established project management methodologies
• Multiple, complementary information security certifications (e.g., CISSP, CISA, GIAC)
• Membership in selective and restricted professional security communities, such as REN-ISAC
• Prior experience as a network, server, database, or application administrator
• Prior experience using information security technologies such as:
o Intrusion detection and prevention
o Remote system management
o Vulnerability assessment and penetration testing
o Software and hardware based firewalls
o Network access control
o Anti-malware and spam protection
Texas State University seeks an experienced Information Security Analyst (ISA I) to join its progressive information security program. The ISA I will join an established and energetic Information Security team. The team proactively identifies, promotes, and implements information security best practices in Texas State's sizeable academic environment. The ISA I will leverage contemporary technologies to mitigate information security threats and will provide expertise, counsel, and problem resolution in the areas of network, server, database, application, and end point security assurance.
The ISA I will be expected to perform security tasks that include:
• Conduct or coordinate risk assessments, vulnerability scans, and penetration tests on campus systems, document findings, and recommend risk mitigation strategies
• Assist other technical support staff in identifying and implementing appropriate security safeguards, including patch application and anti-malware strategies
• Operate and monitor network and host-based intrusion detection/prevention systems
• Analyze network traffic, intrusion attempts, activity logs, and system alerts for trends, anomalies, and potential security breaches
• Serve on incident response teams to gather and preserve evidence, document causes and impacts, coordinate recovery, and enact post-incident security enhancements
• Create and maintain documentation of security incidents and provide reports to university management and external regulatory agencies
• Conduct security training and assist with awareness programs, including content development for the Information Security website
• Pro-actively participate in security and technology groups and associations, both internal and external to the University
• Use elevated access privileges in an ethical and professional manner with appropriate regard for privacy and confidentiality
• Research and recommend policies and procedures to protect information assets from unauthorized or accidental modification, destruction, or disclosure
• Identify, collect, analyze, interpret and assist in the reporting of security metrics
• Manage information security projects according to established and structured project management practices
• Develop scripts, tools, and procedures to automate scans, assessments, and other monitoring and discovery activities
Additional Information to Applicants:
Job Open Date: 09/07/2017
Job Close Date: 9/21/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Normal Work Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Normal Work Hours Start: 8:00AM
Normal Work Hours End: 5:00PM
YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO ELECTRONICALLY ATTACH A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO YOUR APPLICATION.
Legal and Required Notices:
Texas State University, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.
Texas State is committed to increasing the number of women and minorities in administrative and professional positions.
For a detailed description of this position and to apply, visit jobs.hr.txstate.edu or call (512) 245-2557 or visit our office at 601 University Dr., J.C. Kellam Bldg., Suite 340.
About Texas State and San Marcos:
Texas State University is a emerging research institution located in the burgeoning Austin-San Antonio corridor and in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. It is the largest of eight campuses in the Texas State University System and one of the 75 largest universities in the country, with over 38,000 students and approximately 4,000 faculty and staff
Texas State is located in San Marcos, a growing community of over 50,000 people located about half way between Austin and San Antonio. Texas State enjoys a setting that is unique among Texas universities. The beauty of the crystal-clear San Marcos River and the stately cypress and pecan trees on the campus add to the charm of the university's picturesque setting. Our location on the banks of the San Marcos River provides outdoor recreational activities throughout the year.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon a criminal history background check.
Texas State University is a tobacco free campus.
Texas State University is an EOE and a member of the Texas State University System.
Apply Online at Texas State University
Texas State University main webpage
Summary of Benefits
Texas State University Human Resources
San Marcos, Texas Chamber of Commerce