Welding Shop/CTE Lab Technician
Welding Shop/CTE Lab Technician
College of the Sequoias
Description of Position
Under the supervision of the Dean of the Industry & Technology Division and the direction of the Welding professors, the Welding Shop Lab Technician will perform responsible work in the planning of lab set-ups for welding courses; maintain welding laboratories, stockrooms, and equipment.
Incumbents in this position must have industry-level skills, in the following areas:
• Oxy-fuel welding
• Shielded metal arc welding
• Gas metal arc welding
• Flux-cored arc welding
• TIG Welding
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to:
• two years college-level course work in welding, industry and technology, or related area, and
• two years of practical experience in the welding/manufacturing/fabrication industry and an OSHA 10/30 certificate or
• equivalent training
• Plan lab set-ups for welding classes according to established guidelines.
• Oversee the removal of lab set-ups; clean labs and classrooms.
• Working with lead instructor and within college protocol, affect repair and maintenance for all laboratory equipment and facility.
• Maintain laboratories, stockrooms and equipment; oversee routine clean-up of assigned areas to assure security, health and safety requirements are met; check all equipment and obtain service if needed.
• Assist teachers and students in the use of a variety of equipment, materials and supplies in the instructional setting; provide assistance to students according to instructions by teachers.
• Prepare and issue material and equipment for student use; maintain records of materials and equipment used by students.
• Perform instructional support duties; develop and implement ideas for new labs; set up demonstrations for lectures.
• Coordinate communications to assure efficient and appropriate operation of labs; assist students with replacement of broken or missing equipment and other necessary items.
• Adjust, maintain and perform minor repair to equipment; report major repair needs or arrange for repairs according to established procedures.
• Prepare and maintain various records and reports related to laboratory operations and activities as required.
• Assist in the coordination of the use of lab facilities; assuring the availability of appropriate supplies and equipment.
• Train and provide work direction to student workers and other personnel as assigned; hire, assign and review work.
• Operate a variety of equipment related to the specialized area of welding.
• Fabricate projects to be used as instructional demonstrations or to support laboratory activities.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
• Salary is at Range 32 ($19.39 hourly)
Initial placement on step AA
• Salary increase after 6 months of satisfactory service; increases annually thereafter.
• Minimum 5% increase if promoted.
• 10-working months probationary period.
• Union membership upon employment.
• PERS Retirement
• Welding Lab environment.
• Exposure to volatile compounds
• Ability to lift up to 100 lbs.
• Ability to move from site to site
• Ability to sit and stand for extended period of time
• Ability to reach and retrieve files
• Ability to monitor students during lab activities
• Ability to communicate with students and staff
• Ability to operate lab equipment Hazards
• Hazardous chemicals, toxic substances, gases, and chemical fumes
Only complete application packages will be evaluated by a qualified screening committee as soon as possible after the closing date. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not assure the candidate an interview. Application materials will be screened to determine the extent to which they meet the Representative Duties. A selected group of candidates will be invited for oral interviews. After initial interviews, finalists may be asked to return for a second interview.
All costs incurred as a result of the application/selection process shall be borne by the candidate.
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://www.cos.edu/About/HumanResources/Pages/Employment-Opportunities.aspx
Applicants must submit the following materials which must be received by Human Resource Services on or before the application deadline,
September 22, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
• Completed COS classified application form.
• Letter of Interest which addressing your interest in this position and the representative duties
• Copies of transcripts (Officials upon employment)
Human Resource Services
College of the Sequoias CCD
915 S. Mooney Blvd.
Sequoia Building, Room 5
Visalia, CA 93277-2234
Notice to all candidates for employment
"College of the Sequoias Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military service, or any other basis protected by law."
College of the Sequoias Community College District provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the job application and hiring process, please contact a representative from Human Resources at (559) 730-3867 to request a reasonable accommodation."