Director of Public Safety
About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, weve been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu/
Reports to: Associate Vice President for Operations
Supervises: Public Safety Officers, Administrative Assistant for DPS
Under the direction of the AVP for Operations, this position is responsible for the overall safety and security of the campus property, community, employees and students. It is responsible for effectively communicating safety and security information to the campus community in a timely manner and researching and instituting policies and procedures to ensure the protection of college staff, students, faculty, visitors and facilities. This position participates in the development, recommendation and administration policies, procedures and processes in support of the department and the College overall
Essential Job Functions:
- Develops and implements operational standards, goals, objectives, policies, and procedures for the safety and security of the College.
- Integrates safety needs within the context of the Colleges mission and emphasis on social justice.
- Ensures colleges compliance with local, state and federal laws. Maintains, submits, and publishes annual Clery Act crime statistics.
- Manages department budget.
- In conjunction with appropriate authorities, both internally and externally, investigates suspected criminal activities and major incidents that occur on college property.
- Coordinates college-wide emergency preparedness and response planning. Conducts risk assessments and communicates security and safety policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Oversees maintenance and monitoring of emergency systems.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with community emergency response, i.e. OPD , Neighborhood Crime Prevention Council, District 6 Merchants Association, Oakland Office of Emergency Services and Alameda County Emergency Services Boards and other
- Acts as liaison for college-wide requests for special services and events related to campus use after hours and on weekends and holidays.
- Keeps abreast of new innovations in the field of campus public safety including crime prevention and reporting, emergency preparedness and response, safety and security standards, and the college student culture.
- Performs related duties as assigned
- Manages all public safety personnel and departmental administrative assistant.
- Plans and prepare staff communications regarding updated regulatory changes and requirements.
- Oversees performance management, trainings and professional development.
- Coordinates with contracted security companies to augment Mills Public Safety department when needed.
- Security & Safety, and emergency response principles and practices.
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, and/or codes;
- Project management principles;
- Clery Act, Title IX, and the National Incident Management System (NIMS) preferred, but not required
- Plan, direct and supervise the work of others effectively
- Understand the application of technology, such as CCTV, mobile alert systems, etc.;
- Shall maintain competency with Baton and Taser use requirements.
- Interpret and apply applicable laws, rules, and regulations;
- Mediate conflict; strong understanding of de-escalation techniques
- Coordinate activities with other internal departments, the community, and/or external agencies;
- Work with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of college students, faculty and staff.
- Communicate effectively through oral and written mediums.
- Bachelors degree in criminal justice or law enforcement with three to five years of experience, or an associates degree plus five to seven years of relevant training and experience, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- At least five years supervisory experience.
- A valid California drivers license and safe driving record.
- Lifting, pulling and pushing heavy objects (50 lbs).
- Occasional walking, standing, climbing, lifting, stooping or carrying of equipment, tools and materials.
- Visual to perform work.
- Indoor, outdoor and shop environment. Seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions
- Frequent interruptions and changes to the work schedule.
- Driving to conduct work.
- Shall generally be available for off-hour emergencies.
- May be exposed to uncomfortable work spaces such as darkness or poor lighting, dirt/dust, fumes/odors, isolation, mechanical or traffic hazards.
- May be exposed to unpleasant social situations or hostile community response.
Compensation is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance; 22 days of vacation accrued each year of service; 12 sick days and 10 paid holidays annually. Staff also receives free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
To apply, please visit: https://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=89112
Please submit your resume, cover letter, salary requirements, completed Mills application document and contact information for three professional references along with your online application.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.