Assistant Professor, English Education
The Department of English at Illinois State University invites applications for a nine-month, tenure-track Assistant Professor in English Education with research and teaching expertise in the area of literacy studies and/or the teaching of literature at the secondary level. The selected candidate will join an internationally recognized English Studies faculty with a programmatic commitment to social justice approaches to English Education; participate in delivering a well-established undergraduate major; and contribute to strengthening our master’s and doctoral concentrations in English Education. This position offers a 2/3 teaching load with a competitive salary.
Candidates are expected to have:
- An earned doctorate in English Education or closely related field by August 15, 2018
- Evidence of promising scholarship in English Education
- A record of successful college teaching in English Education or closely related field
- A record of successful teaching in English language arts at the secondary level
- Oral proficiency in the English language, as mandated by state law
We seek a colleague with a commitment to improving teaching in secondary schools, especially public schools, a commitment to diversity and preparing teacher candidates from underrepresented groups, and the ability to help us build a strong collaborative working relationship between our undergraduate program in English Studies, Illinois State University’s College of Education, and secondary schools in and beyond Illinois.
We additionally welcome candidates with:
- research and experience in urban teacher education
- experience teaching English Education methods courses;
- experience supervising student teachers and understanding of issues related to field observations in diverse settings, practicums, and student teaching internships;
- experience and research with English-language learners;
- research in the areas of authentic assessment, multiliteracies, metacognition, and/or multicultural education;
- experience with under-resourced secondary schools; and
- a commitment to preparing new teachers for long-term successful careers in rural, suburban, and urban schools.
To ensure full consideration, please complete and submit electronically the standard Illinois State University job application at posting number 0709832 at https://www.jobs.ilstu.edu.
Additionally, please send electronically via Interfolio’s ByCommittee-https://apply.interfolio.com/44606-a letter of application, CV, statement of teaching philosophy, and writing sample to the attention of Susan Kalter, Chair of the English Education Search Committee, Department of English, Illinois State University. Also arrange for three letters of recommendation to be uploaded to Interfolio’s ByCommittee by recommenders.
Letters of application, CVs, and writing samples provided by individuals selected for screening interviews and on-campus interviews will be available for review by all tenured and tenure-track faculty in the Department of English.
Review of applications will begin October 15, 2017 and continue until position is filled. Interviews of selected applicants will be conducted via Skype or telephone. The appointment begins August 16, 2018.
The ISU English Department emphasizes an English Studies model in its undergraduate, MA, and PhD programs, and includes scholars in the fields of Children’s Literature, Composition, Creative Writing, English Education, Linguistics, Literary and Cultural Studies, Publishing Studies, Rhetoric, TESOL, and Technical Communication. Our Department faculty and graduate students are a community of diverse scholars who value collaborative and interdisciplinary work. For additional information about ISU and our Department, please consult http://www.english.illinoisstate.edu.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law, you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at 309-438-3383 or visit http://equalopportunity.illinoisstate.edu/policy/ada/.