Senior Graphic Designer
Department: University Marketing and Communications (UMC)
Reports To: Director of University Marketing
Position Summary: The Senior Graphic Designer will guide the visual identity of North Park University, ensure design consistency across all applicable venues, lead concepting exercises, be an ambassador of good design to the UMC and greater University, and coach others. The successful candidate will serve as lead designer for all print and digital advertising and all marketing materials for the undergraduate and graduate programs at North Park University. The Senior Graphic Designer will have experience in concepting, branding, web design, and design for print materials.
- Lead creative and primary designer for enrollment marketing materials and alumni magazine
- Lead designer on the North Parker alumni publication
- Formulates design approach to University look and feel
- Designs and produces attractive, top quality, cost effective artwork
- Maintains/designs graphic identity programs related to North Park University and its schools
- Maintains the University Brand Style Guide
- Guides team brainstorming and concepting activities
- Works with freelance vendors as needed to ensure production efforts are completed on time, within budget, on strategy, and in accordance with our style guide
- Maintains and monitors brand guides visual appeal of major projects
- Creates custom illustrations or other graphic elements
- Conceptualizes and helps design multimedia interfaces
- Trains and directs staff members who develop design concepts into art layouts or who prepare layouts for printing and/or web publishing
- Trains and directs student workers who adapt templates into layouts or who prepare layouts for printing and/or web publishing
- Confers with marketing managers to determine client objectives, budget, background information, and presentation approaches
- Reviews and approves proofs of printed copy and art
- Looks for ways to streamline work
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge Requirements for Senior Graphic Designer
- Design — Demonstrated thorough knowledge and understanding of digital and print graphic design production and printing processes.
- Administration and Management — Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources
- Proven ability to interface, oversee, and collaborate with commercial printers, photographers, and other outside vendors. This includes knowledge of routinely acceptable costs for each of these services and the ability to produce specification sheets and obtain and evaluate estimates.
- Production and Processing — Knowledge of print production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective use of print and web materials
- Web Design — Working knowledge of HTML, CSS, and web design principles
- Sales and Marketing — Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics
- Leadership — Team player with experience managing a small staff brand
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design, art, or equivalent education and experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the field of graphic design
- Experience designing magazines and publications
- Thorough knowledge of appropriate software including Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- Design exposure, eye for detail, knowledge of typography, and web design experience
- Ability to handle multiple projects, as well as monitor design projects office-wide for quality and consistency
- Able to work independently
- Presents ideas in a gracious and persuasive manner
- Experience in higher education or not-for-profit industries
- Personal commitment to the Christian faith. Possess a clear understanding and personal commitment to North Park University’s mission of Christian higher education.
Effective Date: September 2017
NOTE: Nothing in this job description restricts the supervisor’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.