Vice President for Student Engagement and Success
Barton College is seeking a vibrant, collaborative, action-oriented leader to serve as Vice President for Student Engagement and Success (VPSES).
The Vice President for Student Engagement and Success is responsible for the holistic out-of-class experience of Barton College students – The Barton Experience. This campus leader sets the philosophy and tone for co-curricular engagement and learning, and instigates change through policy development, hiring, and programming to elevate the Barton Experience. The VPSES reports to the President and serves on the President’s Senior Staff.
The VPSES works to create a seamless learning environment in conjunction with the Provost – establishing multiple links between the curricular and co-curricular experience to better enhance student learning. The VPSES will employ student development theory and best practices to shape collaboration with faculty and academic administrators as well as students and student organizations. Cultural, spiritual, intellectual, and social development are mission-centered outcomes for Student Engagement and Success and are achieved through intentional efforts to guide student programs and services in a collaborative spirit. The VPSES will embrace emotional intelligence as a distinctive tool used to establish higher levels of learning and advance Barton student success.
Fundamental to the role of the VPSES is a broad view of campus life where leadership impacts multiple segments of the campus experience. Administrative, academic, alumni, and external constituencies will be influenced by the tone and example set by the VPSES.
The VPSES provides oversight to all student programs and the varied departments that provide student programs and services.
ABOUT BARTON COLLEGE
Founded in 1902, Barton College is a four-year, private, co-educational institution of higher learning located in the heart of Wilson, N.C. The College is ranked by U.S. News & World Report as 7th in 2017 Best Value Schools in Regional Colleges of the South and 13th in the top-tier 2017 Best Regional Colleges of the South, and by Princeton Review as one of the 2017 Best Colleges in the Southeast.
Barton College provides a challenging academic environment with a wide range of professional and liberal arts programs leading to the baccalaureate and master degree. Barton is committed to celebrating bold thinking among our faculty and staff as we nurture bold leadership development among our students. Barton also focuses on student service/leadership development. A member of NCAA DII (Conference Carolinas), Barton supports 21 athletic teams and is nationally recognized for its commitment to student-athletes.
The foundation of the Barton Experience is the promise to provide the tools and support to maximize our students’ potential, in the classroom and beyond. The result is an annual class of graduates who have increased emotional intelligence, a broadened awareness of diverse cultures, and a strengthened sense of ethical leadership and purpose as they boldly prepare to serve their local and global communities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide leadership to Student Engagement and Success
- Set and monitor SES goals and strategic progress
- Supervise – Student Success, Counseling Center, Health Center, Residence Life, Center for Diversity and Inclusion, Chaplain’s Office, Greek Life, Dean of Students, and Student Programs
- Coordinate contract and services of the Wilson Police Department
- Lead Title IX compliance programs and implementation and serve as Chief Compliance Officer
- Oversee campus judicial system and serve as appellate officer; responsible for annual Clery/Campus Crime report
- Represent the Barton Experience to all constituencies
- Work closely with academic and administrative offices to create a seamless learning environment
- Lead the Student Engagement and Success Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Lead Campus Safety and Security Committee and Emergency Response Team
- Provide oversight of all student life budgets – requests and capital expenditures
- Coordinate campus renovation and expansion projects impacting campus life
- Develop a comprehensive assessment strategy
- Regularly communicate and engage feedback from campus constituencies
- Maintain open lines of communication with students and student groups - engage students regularly
- Review and provide oversight to all policies impacting student life to provide fair and equitable treatment of all students
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree is required – doctorate preferred
- Must be emotionally intelligent and ethically principled
- Must have a thorough understanding Title IX policy and legislation
- Must have a thorough understanding of the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Must have strong computer, organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Must be able to lead professionally with multiple constituencies
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. First review of candidates will be held on October 16, 2017. Applications considered on a rolling basis thereafter or until position is filled.