Visiting Senior Engagement Strategist - Illinois Public Media (A1700547)
Visiting Senior Engagement Strategist
Illinois Public Media
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Extended until November 13, 2017
Are you a community-driven journalist or community organizer with a start-up mentality? Do you want to help re-imagine the relationship between journalists and the communities they serve at this key moment? If so, Illinois Public Media may be looking for you! We have a two-year grant to hire and support a full-time engagement strategist to facilitate digital and face-to-face relationships with the public and assist them in impacting the media conversation around issues that affect them most while increasing the impact and reach of a statewide team of journalists.
The engagement strategist will play a key role in the Illinois Newsroom regional journalism collaboration. Seven stations will dedicate a team of journalists to provide in-depth coverage for statewide and national audiences. The Visiting Senior Engagement Strategist ensures that the public is part of the editorial process. Whether you've got a few years on the job and are looking for an exciting opportunity, or have decades of experience you want to bring to a new project, join us!
Major duties responsibilities of this position are:
1. Co-create a roadmap for community engagement for Illinois Newsroom staff designed to maximize pathways between Illinois Newsroom and the public
2. Identify trusted community organizations to partner with for public events and conversations
3. Co-create and produce story-based public conversation events with measurable impact
4. Attend key events, meetings, and networking gatherings to create pathways between Illinois Newsroom and the public
5. Collaborate in selecting topics for Illinois Newsroom projects
6. Co-create youth media summit with collaborating social studies classrooms in central Illinois
7. Collaborate with IPM's marketing department to tell the story of our media-community partnership
8. Supervise documentation of project processes
9. Give presentations highlighting the community engagement roadmap model, methods and results and create an accessible feedback loop between this model, methods and results
1. Demonstrated commitment to solutions-focused journalism
2. Demonstrated commitment to applied work that makes a difference in local communities
3. Demonstrated success in producing or co-producing community events
4. Demonstrated success in creating understanding among diverse staff about the role of media in addressing challenging community problems
5. Demonstrated commitment to mentoring the next generation of journalists
Bilingual (English/Spanish or English/French)
1. Skilled in meeting facilitation of small and large groups
2. Skilled in training others in the use of new tools
3. Skilled in developing staff capacity for the acceptance of innovation
4. Skilled in using digital tools and social media
1. Knowledge of community engagement media initiatives
2. Knowledge of regional collaborations within public media
To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by November 13, 2017. The committee may begin reviewing applications before the close date but no decision will be made until after the close date. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter describing qualifications for the position, current resume and the names and contact information for three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Annetta Allison (217) 265-7648 or email@example.com.
This is a full-time, 12-month academic professional appointment with a start date as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications. This visiting position could become permanent depending on funding availability.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Media/IPM
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Visiting Senior Engagement Strategist - Illinois Public Media (A1700547)
Open Date: 09/07/2017
Close Date: 11/13/2017
Organization Name: IPM Administration:General